1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Ink has new sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 17, 2007.

1. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I don't think you can assume he was a "cheap hire." The Inquirer had a very experienced editor as the interim SE. But they still hired someone to replace Jenks. Often these days, the job simply disappears.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't management judge blogs on number of hits? I don't understand how comments can be an accurate measure if they're 90 percent crap like much of what I see on newspaper websites.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And that is a fair comment. They did fill this position. But they've cut the sports department to the bone there, and they really did need to fill this.

4. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

To address a comment above: Yes, most Web sites can definitely track the number of users who have looked at a particular blog. Those numbers can be really enlightening (and reinforce the huge interest in the NFL).

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

From some who know him, Cohen might be cheap, but he doesn't come cheap.

That said, I believe he was in between jobs or at least underemployed after ESPN squeezed him out. Still waiting for that bold newspaper to hire away one of ESPN's prime guys by waving the big bucks and, even less likely, big journalism opportunities in front of his nose. And no, I don't count Dan Patrick to SI, since SI can prop him up with plenty of reporting help and ghostwriting.

Also, it's hard to know with inside jobs, due to title-itis, whether the "deputy executive producer" of some WWL show is a promotion, lateral move or step down for someone who might accept an "AME/Sports" role at a metro.

6. Joe Williams

I assume they've been able to do that for years with old-fashioned stories and columns posted on Web sites, too, right? Count the "hits" or whatever? It would be interesting to see if popularity is dictated by the sport written about, the team in question in a certain market, or the writer involved. Does Lupica get more hits than his paper's Yankees beat coverage, for instance? Which of the Boston Globe's columnist brings up the rear in Web visitors?

Wonder how we'd find this stuff out.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I want a spnited weekly fantasy football update :D

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

We have someone who does those.. in print on Friday and more detailed on his blog.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That's all well and good...but I want YOU to do it, knowing your hatred for all things fantasy sports. It would make for good video :D

10. playthrough

Cool. I'd hate to hear that a good blog by a newspaper which gets lots of eyeballs instead gets yanked because there aren't enough comments left online.

11. Joe Williams

Yeah, I'd hate to hear about a writer whose workload gets scaled back to something closer to reasonable, since he wasn't getting paid for his added blog work anyway.

12. playthrough

Not really what I was talking about, Joe. A newbie on page 1 was talking about a blog getting ditched because comments weren't being posted, which struck me as stupid. That was all. Newspaper folks being shafted on pay for the multimedia, yeah, that ship is long outta the port.

Draft saved Draft deleted