1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Fed prez: Recovery to start in second half of '09

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Time to stir the Poindexter pot

2. Simon_Cowbell

New home starts up 20.2 percent in February

Where is that only economic genius on the board?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have actually had two job offers in the past month . . . one decent . . . but I don't read that as if any "bottom" has been reached.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yer kidding, right?

If you want to play this game, I am up for it.

"New home starts up 20.2 percent in February". But its *still* 47.3 percent below the revised February 2008 rate of 1,107,000.

Its a joke of a stat, but if you feel thats some sort of indicator, thats awesome. It must be all the job losses and excess house inventory spurring this demand for houses.

Here are some other news items from today to chew on if you think this is some kind of "rebound".

Chrysler needs another $5 billion in loans
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB123721812476242685.html

US Credit Card defaults at a 20-year high
    http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNews/idUSTRE52F75620090316
    In addition, Citigroup Inc (C.N) -- one of the largest issuers of MasterCard cards -- disappointed analysts as its default rate soared to 9.33 percent in February, from 6.95 percent a month earlier, according to a report based on trusts representing a portion of securitized credit card debt.

"There is a continued deterioration. Trends in credit cards will get worse before they start getting better," said Walter Todd, a portfolio manager at Greenwood Capital Associates.

5. Simon_Cowbell

You just can't say it, can you?

The bottom has probably been reached.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Big deal.
    No shit, Sherlock. Really? Wow!

[/quote]

7. poindexter

I don't think we've reached halftime yet.

Take a look over at the journalism board, see if the folks there feel we are on the upswing.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Newspapers were stuck in a black hole's event horizon even before this happened.

9. poindexter

Fine.

Financial services
    Auto makers, auto sellers, auto distributors
    Airlines
    Hospitality services
    Commercial real estate

How many industries you want me to name that are in the dumper today, with no near-term recovery prospects?

And feel free to name the growth industries today, besides sign-spinners and foreclosure sheriffs.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Good points. Imagine how worse off all those industries would be if we sat around and did nothing.

11. poindexter

That's not exactly true, either. Geniuses like Sam Zell borrowed monstrously to finance his Tribune purchase, thinking that refinancing would be a breeze when debt payments came due, like it had been for decades. When things changed economically, and he realized he couldn't roll over the debt, he had to start cutting furiously.

I don't follow other newspaper companies, but I doubt Zell is the only one.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Poin vs. Cowbell. Here is one where the linesmen just stand back and let 'em punch themselves out.

Draft saved Draft deleted