1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly columnist buys AR-15

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Jun 14, 2016.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Go on, try it. I'll sit here and watch.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Let me talk to my friends at Rolling Stone first.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

That also stuck out to me. I had no idea Kuntzman is a psychiatrist or psychologist and is qualified to make the diagnosis.
    What also stuck out to me was the opening line: "It feels like a bazooka — and sounds like a cannon."
    I've never held a bazooka, and I doubt Kuntzman has either, but just going by appearances, I'd have to say there is a huge difference between a bazooka and an AR-15.
    I have heard cannon blasts and rifle shots, and watched the video provided with Kuntz's story. The sound of the AR-15 being shot in the video is nothing like a cannon blast.
    And as mentioned by another poster, the AR-15 does not have a fully automatic setting — pull and hold the trigger and rifle keeps shooting.
    It has a semi-automatic setting — one trigger pull, one bullet fired.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Some of our peaceful Muslim brothers teach 9 and 10-year-old kids to fire weapons as powerful, but Gersh is now traumatized.

Turkistan Islamic Party releases video of children in training | The Long War Journal

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Someone should have their pay docked for this story. Either the out of touch reporter or the editor who signed off on it.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

From a traffic perspective, the $800 might be pretty decent bang for the buck. I mean, it's a trolling stunt following a terrible tragedy, but it probably got clicks.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting concept, I think there are readers who would be curious about how the check process works that would never actually go through it, so conveying a first-hand experience of doing so has merit.

Why not either return the gun, or let the shop in on the fact that its for a story, maybe they'd do the check grattas and save the $800.

Batman likes this.
  8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

But that's been done before, hasn't it? I mean, Michael Moore made an entire movie about it and showed how easy it was to buy a gun. He even got one free just for opening a checking account.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would suggest that Gersh turn in his "man" card, but it's quite obvious he never had one.

cjericho and Bamadog like this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At this rate we're going to have an army of journalists wielding assault rifles.

Let me show you what -30- REALLY means, motherfucker!

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gersh doubles down when the hate mail starts rolling in, and agrees with you, Tony.

To gun lovers, you can't even have an opinion on assault rifles

Draft saved Draft deleted