1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies Joy Watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by XXXX, Sep 28, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

With the way the teams are playing right now, you expect the Phillies to win today despite Eaton pitching and the Mets to lose today despite Maine pitching. However if Eaton and Maine pitch to form, the Mets will win and the Phillies will lose. Leaving Sunday, where if the Mets win and the Phillies lose, it will play to form for the Philadelphia sports -- bring your fans to the brink, making them believe you're going to succeed and then ripping their hearts out at the last minute. I've seen it happen too many times before with the Phillies and Eagles fans I work with.
    Thankfully I'm a Yankees fan.

2. boots

boots New Member

I'm not a fan of any team per se but I can see that happening.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When the local professional franchises have been managed for YEARS to CONTEND, rather than to WIN, it's tough. Hope the Phils put the Mets six feet under, and I love that lineup's top six, but that bullpen's a roaring joke.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Maine's form since he's entered uncharted waters in terms of his annual innings count has been horrendous. Maybe he'll sack up, today -- but do you want to count on it? The way everybody in that dugout (excepting Wright's) been performing? Uh, uh.

5. boots

boots New Member

Last night, I was hoping that I wouldn't see Gordon or Meyers. I'm sure many in the standing room only crowd were hoping the same thing. Great to see the city getting excited about a playoff run. Towel waving and all.
    Don't know if I'll get that lucky today. We'll see.
    Right now, I'm just hoping it warms up. Stepped out to get a paper and smoke a cig and it's pretty nippy.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Through five Maine has returned to his early season dominance and the Mets are hitting the crap out of the ball. Let's see if Eaton returns to his horrible early season form of the Phillies.

7. boots

boots New Member

He did. It was ugly. He has no business being in a Major League ball park.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

As a Yankee fan, I take great pleasure in seeing Mets and Phillies fans alike writhe in agony over this weekend. All that trash-talking has a funny way of coming around: the Yanks were left for dead in June and they clinch a playoff spot before either of them.

Plus, it's not exactly a walk in Fairmount Park being a Yankees fan in a Philadelphia college.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As a native Bostonian who lived in Pennsylvania for a number of years, I'm pulling for the Phils a tad. Would love to see their fans get a taste of success.

10. boots

boots New Member

Philly is used to being overlooked by many. For years, the joke was that Philly was just a rest stop between New York and Washington (If you make that trip, you can by pass Philly totally thanks to the Delaware Memorial bridge and the N.J. Turnpike).
    The Phils should win Sunday and the Mets should lose. That'll end the 2007 regular season.
    The ending isn't surprising. I always felt it would come down to the final game of the season. Too bad the Phils and Mets aren't playing each other.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Who's talking trash? After the original point of this thread, find me any Phillies fan on here that had enough confidence in their team to talk shit. There aren't because they don't.

We're just like grass trampled on a footpath. You get stepped on enough, you grow a little off-kilter.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since this is the only place I can talk to other Phillies fans, I wish to make the following statement. Whatever happens today (and a half-century of experience has me pretty sure what will), I absolve them. For a team so faultily constructed to have a sniff of the playoffs on the final day of the season after a 4-11 start means it fought its ass off all season and delivered its best more often than could reasonably be expected. Can't ask for than that from a sports team.
    That said, I've still been told I'll be eating dinner alone, and elsewhere, if they lose after my performance watching the game yesterday.
    Alice is rooting for the four way tie. Loved ones can be cruel, sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted