1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies Joy Watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by XXXX, Sep 28, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

One of my co-workers just hung himself after that single. Another is preparing his noose.

Biggest. Choke. Ever.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's funny that Mitch Williams is working the postgame shows for the Phillies. Bad karma if you ask me.

3. i've been watching sports for a long time--long enough to have given up on jinxs and long enough to trust my gut. This year's phillies team have that winning aura--i'm not saying they're winning the WS, but they will be celebrating on the field within the next couple days.

p.s. i'm drunk so i might wake up and regret posting this--but this is one of the most fun weeks i've had as a baseball fan in a long time....

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This Mets fan wants to congratulate the Phillies and their fans on winning the N.L. East.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

anybody who thinks this is "just another Phillies team that will choke" has obviously not been paying attention to the way they play the game

they're good

6. boots

boots New Member

two games remain. Anything can happen.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Can someone just please delete this thread? I can imagine so many more scenarios for failure. Be it Eaton shitting the bed tomorrow and the Mets winning, then the Mets getting jazzed up on Sunday while the Phils lose a close one...or the teams tying, and the Mets coming into Philly and winning...it doesn't matter.
    This needs to be stuffed back in the celebration sack, pronto. If ever there was a town that shouldn't celebrate anything early, it's Philly.

8. boots

boots New Member

Why not Philly?

9. MartinEnigmatica

Well, because ultimate success has been denied to its sports teams repeatedly - Eagles in 2003, Sixers in 2001, Flyers in 1997, Phillies in 1993. There have been shocking games, like the Eagles' playoff loss to Tampa Bay in the last game at the Vet, the Phillies' recent near-playoff seasons. And that's all said before "1964". Yes, you can make the argument that not every one of them is shocking, or a collapse. Certainly the Sixers were greatly overmatched in the 2001 finals. But it all contributes to a culture of failing, so that a loss is expected more than a win. Fans hope and hope and pray for the win, they cling to something positive, and almost care too much in the case of the Eagles. They want to get high on the wins and the success, and sometimes find a season or stretch of games that do that.
    But when it doesn't work out, there are the loving arms of Mr. Failure.
    This is especially true with the Phillies, after their recent good-but-not-great seasons and teases. Who knows? Maybe it'd be poetic justice to make the playoffs in the season in which the franchise notched its 10,000th loss. But if the Phillies did somehow miss again, eventually someone will say, 'We should have known. This team was the first to 10,000. Why should this season be any different?'

10. boots

boots New Member

Martin, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever been to Philly? Spent time there. Got to know the people and places?
    The City, which was the first Capital of our great nation, hasn't enjoyed a championship since 1983 when the Sixers beat the Lakers in the NBA finals, 4-1.
    No pro franchise has lost as many games as the Phillies but that doesn't mean anything. The past is just that, the past. The Phillies have earned their spot to be in first place. They've beaten the teams they've had to beat. They're playing like winners.

11. MartinEnigmatica

Uh, Boots, I have been there. And if I tried to count for how long, I'd be here all night and well into the morning. Because I grew up there. Went to school there. I am friends with the people, memorized the places. I could draw you a fucking map of the town.

That the Phillies have lost that many games obviously DOES mean something - maybe not to the current players, but to a lot of long-time fans. Sure, not every fan is the same...but you can't sit there and say that a Frankie Phillies Fan has seen more winning than losing, and the successes have outnumbered the heartbreaks.

12. boots

boots New Member

You went to school there? Where?

Draft saved Draft deleted