1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies beat writer, Philadelphia Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JoshBarnett, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's making a huge jump, but this kid is damn good...

2. What's his background? Just curious.

3. Mizzougrad96

Preps at St. Pete...

4. Age? School?

5. Mizzougrad96

What am I his mom?

No idea on either. I just know from friends in St. Pete that he is thought of very highly there. He was a runner-up for another huge job recently.

He had serious competition for this gig, which must give you an idea of how much they like this guy.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dave also spent some time in Myrtle Beach covering Coastal Carolina. Very, very good guy, and he'll do a hell of a job.
    From what I understand, he wasn't supposed to be on the Prep beat in St. Pete as long as he was. Maybe someone can clear up the reasoning, but apparently it had something to do with some other shifting.
    Congrats to Dave.

7. Just curious. With so few people seemingly getting ahead in this business these days, it's always good to hear about someone who actually is.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

At the risk of threadjacking this mutual admiration society for Dave, I can take this...

After nearly 7 years running the sports section at the Antelope Valley Press, John left in '06 to go to cooking school. He's now editing cookbooks -- not a bad gig.

Carry on.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Murph is a La Salle graduate.

Good mid-range jumper.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll echo the good vibes for Murphy. St. Pete's major beats haven't turned over in several years, that's no fault of his.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

26 years old from La Salle University. Second person ever to win the Harry Merrill Memorial Award for College Sports Writing. How do I know? I was the third, and succeeded him as La Salle SE.

12. Mizzougrad96

Completely true, although Joanne Korth (Backup Bucs) recently left.

If I'm an editor at a major paper looking to hire undiscovered talent, the St. Pete preps staff is a great place to start...

Draft saved Draft deleted