1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies beat writer, Philadelphia Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JoshBarnett, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know Trent, and steveu, you are no Trent. :D

2. Seems odd that philly.com has both the Inquirer and Daily News coverage. Do those guys work together or compete?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto that on Trent. His blog was exhibit A of how BLOGS! should be treated by beat guys.

Also, it's great to see these jobs posted. I know the first instinct is like Doc's, to say "wow they had to post this?" but I think it's a feather in their cap to want to take another avalanche of resumes and see if there's a gem in there somewhere. Good news for all of us.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Lloyd Bentsen, risen from the grave! How's your Dem friends? lol

5. accguy

accguy Member

It's fact. I don't deal in rumor.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

They operate out of the same building. You're a smart kid, so I'll let you figure the rest out. And I'll take a Yuengling draught while you're at it. ;)

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Huh? Just because both papers are owned by one entity doesn't mean they "work together." The papers are pretty competitive on their beats, no matter what you may wanna say.

8. SwingAndAMiss

SwingAndAMiss New Member

The Inquirer and Daily News are very competitive. The papers are on separate floors, and the only area where there is clear cooperation is when it comes to posting items on the Web site.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sorry, I implied the wrong thing.

10. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

Steve King, who was expected to replace Marcus Hayes on the Phillies beat, left the paper this month for personal reasons. Good young guy, lots of potential. Here's hoping things work out for Steve and he's back in the business soon.
    Dana Pennett O'Neil's departure for ESPN is completely unrelated to this posting. She's a major loss for the paper -- a smart, talented and hard-working reporter who could cover anything. The big worry is that they're losing two people and, for now at least, hiring just one.
    As for posting here ... I guess it's been so long since the Daily News got to hire someone on the open market, they can't help looking at as many candidates as possible. Those resumes from the early '90s are probably pretty dusty by now.
    Last thing: This will be a great job for a legit baseball writer who is willing to stay on the beat for a while. Since the Phillies actually figure to be good for a few years (or at least interesting, if they're not good), should be kind of fun.

11. ditto on stephen king

hard worker, diligent reporter, crisp writer

hope he gets back into the biz soon because he's a good one

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

re Trent's blog: It's about as good as I've seen in the genre.

Draft saved Draft deleted