1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philip Roth retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Says he hasn't written any new material in three years.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/11/philip-roth-retiring-amazon-glitch-disables-buy-buttons/58871/

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

His output in this last third of his career has been phenomenal. What a genius/what a monster. How sad I am to see him go.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Unless there are health issues, I think this should be Philip Roth "retires."

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Goodbye, Columbus.

(First thing I read of his. Still holds up pretty good, too.)

My favorite Roth book is American Pastoral. I know it's not his best in many respects, but the last portion of it, how a father imagines his radical daughter might live, is a pretty clever way of projecting how the middle class sees radicalism. Like an outpost of evil.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

His writing will be missed.

Portnoy was my first introduction to Roth, and perhaps is still my favorite.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Well, shit.

I would say this means we won't see much of him anymore, but we didn't see much of him when he was an active writer.

In his last five or six books, he reads legitimately frightened of what old age does to a person. Especially in Exit Ghost.

Draft saved Draft deleted