1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philip Humber throws a perfect game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This made me recall where I was -- a kid at the time -- for the Milt Pappas game on Sept. 2, 1972. Like Pappas' 3-2 pitch to Larry Stahl with two outs in the ninth, I was outside (listening on a portable radio).

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Missed the game while I was watching my son's team (no complaints), but I have to ask ... did FOX really go split-screen on the ninth inning of a PERFECT GAME???

I guess when The Only Two MLB Teams That Matter are playing each other, even if it's April, the other 14 games are just background noise.

Congrats to Phil Humber, A.J., and Brendan Ryan -- who, despite bitching about the call on the field, sounded classy as the Seattle radio people interviewed him after the game.

And that's a really cool way to catch the end of the perfecto, YGBFKM. Thanks for sharing that. Good day to be a White Sox fan.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People will remember that wild last pitch, but what I'll remember, as well, is that he went 3-0 on the first batter in the ninth. You could tell he was completely jacked. I didn't think there was any way he was going to come back and get the guy, but he jumped pumped three straight fastballs up there, if I recall.

I can't imagine that anything in sports makes me more nervous that a perfect game in the last two innings, because I know that this is a potentially life-defining moment for the pitcher. Some Sundays at the majors in golf are about the only thing that compares, for me.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How many Mets does that make that have tosses a Perfect Game or No-hitter? Seaver, Gooden, Cone and now Humber.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it will be interesting to see how good Humber can be. He finally pitched a full season last year, and he's a guy who once upon a time was the No. 3 overall pick. His career was mostly derailed by injuries, namely Tommy John surgery. He had a near All-Star first half last year, and some of the stathead sites and books have noted that his peripherals were very good in the second half, even though his ERA went up.

He will be a really interesting guy to follow. I'm not sure yesterday was a complete fluke.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

They eventually went to a full screen, but i have to believe it wasn't their original intention to do so.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget Nolan Ryan. I'm sure there's plenty of others.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering the Fox blackout rules, just be glad they even had cameras in Seattle.
    And not that it's anywhere remotely close to an excuse, but how far along was the Yankees' comeback at that point? If you cut away from a 9-1 game to go to the perfect game, and all of a sudden it's 9-8, I could see some merit in the split screen for that. Not much, but some.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They cut away at 9-1. They came back at 9-5. But they went split screen at 9-1, then went full-screen in Seattle before the Yanks scored, I think.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Hideo Nomo and Mike Scott.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Did Pedro ever get one?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, though it should be noted he pitched a no-hitter for a complete nine innings but lost it in the 10th inning against the Padres when he was pitching in Montreal.

Seven former Mets have thrown no-nos. Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Mike Scott, Hideo Nomo, David Cone, Dwight Gooden and now Humber.

Draft saved Draft deleted