1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Rises

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 29, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I still say you have to go. That's the birthplace. Get a better one somewhere else later, if you can -- but you still have to go once. If only to be able to say you've been.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you have the time do yourself a favor and go over to Independence Hall, see the Liberty Bell and Ben Franklin's grave site. I had not thought it to be a big deal going in but standing in the actual room where the Declaration of Independence was signed and Constitution was drawn up left me awestruck.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It is not necessary, however, to then mosey over to the war protestors across from Independence Hall, and challenge them to debate the works of Garry Trudeau.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think that's on the agenda. I'd like to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.
    We get to Philly around Noon on Saturday, after three days in south Jersey. Have about six hours or so before the game, then the Giants-Phillies, and my flight leaves the airport at 5:10 Sunday evening.
    So most of the day Sunday. I was hopeful to find some places to walk and see from the Marriott downtown. And I can't begin to say how glad I am to here that I can take the train from the hotel to the airport if I have to.
    And no thanks on the Philly strip club.
    But I'm taking votes on strip joints in Atlantic City...

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pat's and Geno's are close to the ballpark. Count me among those who demand you go to Pat's. And get that cheese whiz slobbered all over it. You'll absolutely love it. Everyone who has ever doubted was instantly convinced.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Tony Luke's is even closer.

7. JayFarrar

So ya'll (I'll be sure drop as many ya'lls in my Southern accent as possible) are saying hit a cheesesteak joint pre or post-game on Saturday?
    Votes on which one?
    Walking distance to the park is awesome. I think the plan is take the train to stadium and walk around before and after.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Drop a Southern accent there & you'll be shot on sight. They'll think you're a Braves fan.

9. JayFarrar

I am a Braves fan, I'll love Dale Murphy until the day I die
    So you saying I shouldn't wear my sweat-ass powder blue Braves hat?

10. rickschu

rickschu New Member

I can't believe any thread involving Philadelphia has yet to mention the amazing Reading Terminal Market, which is across the street from the Downtown Marriott. Do not pass Go or collect $200 - you won't be disappointed.

11. boots

boots New Member

Dale Murphy was once a Philly and he's thought of very highly. The steak shops mentioned are nice, Geno's, Pat's, Jim's. However, to get a true Philly cheesesteak or hoagie, you have to go to a neighborhood deli or steak shop.
    Chinatown is by far the best bet for quality and cheap Chinese food on the East Coast. I say that with a lot of respect to NY's and D.C's Chinatowns.
    Enjoy your visit and remember, if you desire to get your ass kicked, the natives there will oblige.

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

There is a Tony Lukes in the ballpark and it is just as good as anywhere I've eaten. And there's not much of Philly to see around Pattison station, where you will get off. Lincoln Financial Field, Wachovia Center, Citizens Bank Park are all in the same area.

Get off at Ellsworth-Federal station on the Broad Street Line for the quickest route to Pat's and Geno's. Be sure to walk through the Itallian Market when you're done.

Draft saved Draft deleted