1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Rises

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 29, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One hundred and sixty-three?
    That's all? Pffft, my city had about half that and is also one-quarter Philly's population.
    Anyway, I really look forward to the trip and thanks for the NG article,I'm about to print it out and read on the plane.
    Philly is stop No. 8 on my big city list, Boston and the cities on the West Coast are all that's left. I'll also be able to X off two more states on my visit all 50 states before I turn 50 list.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Kind of between downtown proper and the river... Southeast of downtown, I'd say, but just -- narrow streets, cherry blossoms. Does that make sense?

I'd been walking around all day, but I'm pretty sure that's where I was.

And maybe "brownstones" is the wrong word. Brick townhouses, old, four and five storeys tall, stoops. Sweet as hell.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, did all the residents leave town? ;D

I'll qualify this by saying it's been several, several years since I've been to Philly, but it rates as the least favorite city I've visited. Dirty, filthy place with some of the rudest and meanest inhabitants you'll find anywhere.

Nice to hear it sounds like the place is cleaning up. I'll be more interested in hearing how they infused an attitude adjustment on a million strong.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

If you want an entertaining Philadelphia-area blog, check out: http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/

5. boots

boots New Member

you coul'dve been in society hill or west philly. I'll take a wild hair out my ass and say you were in society hill.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Best place in Philly: The Dark Horse Pub.
    FACT!

7. philly is great-- it's because of the young people who are choosing to stay and make their lives there, and not in the suburbs or in other cities (as i did years ago). The politicans are corrupt, and outside of downtown, Philly is still mostly depressing. Still, it's a great way to spend a weekend in the summer...oh, don't go to north philly to buy crack, otherwise you will most likely be shot (at least that's the impression i get from the philly daily news)

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's because the "Cold Case" team is taking an at-large killer off the streets every Sunday night.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Forget Geno's or Pat's. Go to Jim's for cheesesteak.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

boots - always the a- hole. You fair city has changed for the better. Instead of being a smart ass why not provide some real insight into how it has changed.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I was there for nearly a week a few years ago during the NCAA tournament and I had a blast. Stayed at the Doubletree downtown -- near the theaters -- and stumbled on a bunch of great places to eat and drink.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how it would rate as a place to live . . . but I love Philly and always look forward to visiting there.

My only really bad experience there was shivering at the cold, damp Vet watching %$#@&$%# Mitch Williams in Game 4 of the 1993 World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted