1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Rises

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 29, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just spent a few days in Philly and was pleasantly surprised at how nice a city it has turned into. The times I had been there a while back it seemed like a dump.

Now it seems like a very cool city. When did this change start to take place and who lead the charge?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, tell me where you went.
    I fly in tomorrow for a wedding and spending the weekend there. And I want to hit the cool spots.

3. boots

boots New Member

Philadelphia never fell. It's negative publicity comes from assholes who have NEVER stepped foot in the city.
    Can you get your ass kicked free of charge? You most certainly can.
    Can you have an outstanding time without paying through the nose? You most certainly can.
    In short, Of all the cities in Megalopolis (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington), Philly is your best bet.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Their French Quarter has some pretty nice restaurants. Their Chinatown is small but good and they do have places to make bubble tea.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Philly your "best" bet in comparison to those listed by Boots. I would put Philly at third, NYC, Boston and then Philly.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler/features/philly0510/philly.html

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

staying at the Marriott downtown. it looks centrally located
    Philly is odd to me, it seems like no one goes there. I've probably talked to 40 people and the only two who knew anything about Philly or had even been were former locals.
    Historically, lots to see and do. Yet no one goes.
    Bachelor party tomorrow night in Atlantic City, starts at some place called Game On. I heard something about a mechanical bull...

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That article is dead on with what I noticed. Eveyone seems to get along.

City is very clean.

8. boots

boots New Member

IF you want to go broke, by all means go to New York or Boston.
    To get your money's worth in Megalopolis, Philly is it.

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Actually, if I ever move to the U.S., it'll be to Philadelphia. I couldn't explain why, exactly, but I really, really like it.

Those brownstones near downtown, that pocket -- man, that's a gorgeous bit of city.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Boots, it really all depends on where you go. I do think Boston is a bit expensive at points, but there are always places that you can find within a budget.

11. boots

boots New Member

Where were you to see those brownstone? South Philly? North Philly? Society Hill? West Philly?

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

One hundred and sixty three homicides this year.

Philly is the closest big city to where I grew up, and I could never picture myself living there.

Draft saved Draft deleted