1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Phillies apparently turned stool pigeon for the NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd like to see an athlete do this to the NCAA:

JOCQUE: At the end of this year, my letter of intent and scholarship agreement expires. Any school that wants me will have to let me have my own sneaker deal and make my own commercials for money.

NCAA: You can't do that, you're a student-athlete.

JOCQUE: That means I have to be treated like every other student, right?

NCAA: Correct.

JOCQUE: Good, because any other student can earn money outside his scholarship, including by working.

NCAA: But you can only make a certain amount of money because you're a student-athlete.

JOCQUE: Says who, you?

NCAA: Yes.

JOCQUE: I don't have to listen to you. My agreement will be with the school, and since I'm fielding offers in a right to work state, I don't have to be a member of another organization in order to get a job. So fuck you.

NCAA: Um ....

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

lllegal immigration from Alberta, apparently. He told a customs agent he did 130kph down the QE2. Buss-Ted.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good luck finding an NCAA school that will make that deal with the athlete (above the table).

People tend to forget the NCAA is not some outside entity. It is the schools. If the universities involved want to change the NCAA rules to make that deal kosher, they can. And nothing is stopping them from leaving the NCAA, either.

The athlete can get all the jobs he wants. But the NCAA is not required to make him eligible for its competition.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't agents have to register with the pro leagues? So if the NCAA finds out the lawyer is registered as an NFL (or MLB or NBA) agent, that would be a pretty easy call (and those lists aren't secret -- here's the NFLPA's http://www.nflplayers.com/reports/AgentSearch.aspx?report=2). Now that lawyer might indeed be performing other services, but it's not exactly the slam dunk you seem to think it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted