1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Inquirer, Daily News, Philly.com to merge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's a very dark day for journalists in Philly.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

They are going to maintain all 3 places (Inquirer/Daily News/Philly.com) but trim $5M-$6M in staff. OK, then. Have to imagine sports will be affected. Will they really want extra people covering the same game(s)?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Lots of questions but no answers. It's going to be tricky especially when you're talking about merging sports staffs where many of those at both papers have 25-plus years of experience in Philly alone. There will be some buyouts naturally but many of the guys with 20 or more years are relatively young and still in their prime or just reaching it.

5. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Nope, no buyouts will be offered according to the publisher: Philadelphia Media Network CEO Egger announces cuts, newsroom merger

Further complicating things is that this is a union shop. So I don't think it's a safe guarantee that younger reporters are safe.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very much a union shop.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They'll be the first to go.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Union layoffs hitting Philadelphia Media Network

The publisher of The Inquirer, Daily News, and Philly.com plans to lay off 46 members of Newspaper Guild Local 10 effective Dec. 4, the union said Monday.

The move is part of plan announced Friday by Terrance C.Z. Egger, publisher and CEO of Philadelphia Media Network, which owns the three media organizations, to save $5 million to $6 million companywide.

Details on which departments will be affected were not immediately available.

The Guild, which has 436 members, represents newsroom employees, as well as employees in advertixing, circulation, and finance.

As a side note, you know things are bad when the company's web site story can't spell advertising correctly.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hey, what's another 10.5 percent? Work smarter, not harder!

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cuts, cuts cuts. Nobody cares bout the product I'm telling you. The reader is not that dumb. Somebody would have to have rocks in their head (had to use a seldom used cliche) to subscribe to a newspaper today.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Boy, I'm glad you told us that.

Hey, Fredrick's on the watch, people. I'm sure the universal fix will be in his next brilliant post.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Boy, I'm not sending out any more resumes. Why even bother. I'll just get laid off the minute I start a new job. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted