1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Daily News will be labeled an "edition" of The Philadelphia Inquier

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thestatman, Mar 2, 2009.

1. thestatman

thestatman Member

Stumbled across this on the wire while at work:

The company that owns both the Philadelphia Daily News and The Philadelphia Inquirer will start publishing the tabloid Daily News as an edition of the broadsheet Inquirer starting March 30.
    The newspapers announced the change Monday.
    Mark Frisby, publisher of the Daily News, says the combination will allow the papers to save on wire service fees and "take greater advantage of combined advertising revenue." Company officials say the change won't affect staffing, content or management. Each paper will continue to report to circulation auditors under the Inquirer heading, but the circulation will be combined for auditing purposes.
    The company, Philadelphia Newspapers Inc., filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week.

If it's a way to save money AND prevent layoffs, bout time.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Is this like the Sun/R-J deal in Vegas? Or will they remain two distinct and separate publications?

3. thestatman

thestatman Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/67457/

Looks like Patrick beat me to it. The scope of the deal is that the DN will include the text "edition of the Inquirer" under the title while being separate, but for purposes of saving money the same. Too confusing for me, but if it saves money AND keeps jobs, its a welcome sight after a couple of papers have folded. I guess it looks like they will be competing for stories.

In terms of sports, no clue how that affects the beat writers, especially since the Inquirer just hired Andy Martino.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They could save money if Tierney jumped off the building, too.

5. I find management's assurances totally believable in this matter.

6. sometimes, the blue font just isn't necessary

7. Good thing, too, because I don't know how to make it work.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

No it won't save money and it won't prevent layoffs. The idea might have had a chance a few years ago. Not now. Tierney is a business man. Not a journalist. He wants to come out of this mess as best as he can.

9. thestatman

thestatman Member

Guess hiding behind that claim of not changing staff, content or management will last for a short while. Now that we're talking business, ugh, worse words in journalism.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Photog and copy editing is combined. The only thing left to combine is editorial. Won't change the fate of the Daily News but it may lessen the blow of more unemployed journalists.

11. one thing PNI is saying is that this will help them charge more for advertising, since daily circ. is now 450,000 or whatever instead of 350,000

but by that argument, the Daily News circ. is now 0, so doesn't that kind of offset the inky's circ. increase?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

First off, its Philadelphia Media Holding. Secondly, its a bunch of bull to say that they're now a position to charge more for advertising when they were already offering two-for-one deals (an ad in both papers).

Draft saved Draft deleted