1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia approaches milestone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jun 12, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not. Even. Close.

Along with the Giants, the Cubs were the premier team in the National League for, hell, the first 75 years of its existence.

I calculated it in a thread last fall: the Cubs would have to lose 100 games for like the next 12 seasons in a row(!) just to fall below .500 as a franchise. They're about 500 wins over .500 right now (edit: 9,928-9,416 overall, entering Tuesday).

All-time loosers, MLB
    1. Phillies, 8797-9987 0.468
    2. Braves, 9647-9668 0.499
    3. Cubs, 9928-9416 0.513
    4. Pirates, 9582-9328 0.507
    5. Reds, 9625-9325 0.508
    6. Cardinals, 9792-9144 0.517
    7. Dodgers, 9830-8920 0.524
    8. Giants, 10142-8667 0.539
    9. Browns/Orioles*, 7841-8613 0.477
    10. Senators/Twins, 7914-8545 0.481

* also includes 1901 Milwaukee Brewers (sorry Bubs, Gutter, etc. :D)

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

STFU dude, i'ma dodger fan.

dodger prediction: finish seven above .500, limp into the playoffs as the wild card and get swept.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

When was the last Dodger WS win? Right, '88. Phillies' first and only was eight years prior. The Phillies have since made one additional trip to the WS, which was largely a fluke - and we all know how that turned out. And since '93, there have been zero playoff appearances.

In that same time frame, the Dodgers have two divisional titles and two wild-card appearances.

LAD: pretty far down on my sympathy list.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And the Phillies had one remarkably awful run from 1918 -1948 where they finished below .500 in 30 of 31 seasons. Only the '37 team managed to break the string with a pedestrian 78-76 record.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So by the end of 2008 the Phillies will probably be the only team on that list below .500.

EDIT: Or not.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Considering I'm a Rockies fan and my idea of a successful season is when they reach 63 wins so they continue their streak of never having lost 100 games in a season, I'm happy that they're not anywhere near this mark ... at least not yet. ;D

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

This is a god-awful stat, and I don't mean the size of the number:

Completely bogus first sentence. Of course they've lost more games than any professional franchise in any sport: BASEBALL PLAYS ROUGHLY TWICE THE NUMBER OF GAMES PER YEAR OF BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL. And don't even bring up football, where a team would have to go 0-16 for 625 FREAKIN' YEARS TO LOSE 10,000 GAMES.

A comparison of winning percentage would be of great benefit to the story to put it into perspective. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for example, have a .389 winning percentage. Arizona Cardinals, who have played since 1920, have a .411 winning percentage. The graphic with the story says the Phillies have a .468 winning percentage.

And, let's not forget the Washington Generals :)

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not only that, DBV, but the National League was created in 1876 (the Phillies count their 9,987 losses since their formation in 1883).

So you're looking at almost 40 extra years of suckitude before the Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals even came into existence. :D

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Relative w/l competitive balance is built into baseball, compared to . . .

Football, much more of a collision/power game, thus much more vulnerable to domination and submission, despite Rozelle's "on any given Sunday" canard.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Thanks for the link. That's one Dad's day present that will be appreciated.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dodger playoff wins since '88?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That'd be 1-12. It's no too bad. It's one more than the Devil Rays, which says something.

Is there a site that lists how many losses a franchise has, for any sport?

Draft saved Draft deleted