1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia approaches milestone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jun 12, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a db.

Phillies closing in on 10,000 losses. Worst of any franchise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/sports/baseball/12phillies.html?ex=1339300800&en=2b26db7ef5fa358f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

2. Wooooooooooooooooooo - hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Go Phillies!!!

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Congrats, Phillies. You're first in something. Wonder how close my Cubs are to the 10K losses?

4. Because the cubs can't even win at losing.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No wonder they boo Santa Claus.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Some of the guys I work with tried to get me pumped up last year. Phils were doing well, Howard was kicking ass. I had none of it, because they'd do what they always do: piss it in the end. Same for this year.

What was that definition of insanity? Repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different outcome? Why emotionally invest in the team when they do the same thing year after year? Always good, but never good enough.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would've picked another former Philly team: the A's, who were godawful for five decades. Of course, the Phillies are National League so they've sucked for far longer.

9. boots

boots New Member

this is a d_b.

10. Yet it's still more of a relevant thread than the anniversary of Roethlisburger's fat headed motorcycle injury.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

http://www.celebrate10000.com

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Philly A's weren't God awful for five decades. From the formation of the AL to 1915, they were the elite team in the AL, if not all of baseball, winning three World Series and playing in two others. From 1925-33, they were in contention every season, winning the '29 and '30 World Series, losing in '31 in seven games. Other than '46, they were decent right after WWII too, over .500 until the 50s.

The A's franchise was God awful from 1916-early 20s, 1934-WWII, the final Philly years and their entire stay in Kansas City.

Meanwhile, the Phillies have only had brief respites of success surrounded by crap. The mid 10s (World Series in '15), 1950 (World Series), the mid 60s, the late 70s and early 80s (the franchise glory period), 1993, and some recent years. That's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted