1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Sheridan's own heroin story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Phil Sheridan had a great column today, exposing his own family's struggles with heroin while discussing the Reid family.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/16666926.htm

In a negative market, he sometimes appears to be a kiss up ... but I always find him to be a voice of reason.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Good column. I know some want columnists to be detached. But I think the best columns come when you're writing from life's experience.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Awful situation.

These young men, a mere blink of an eye ago, were innocent little kids.

Must be brutish to reconcile those fresh, wistful recollections with the festering reality of the present.

My thoughts are with everyone whose families are immersed in this logicless battle.

4. they were? I read that at least one of them has a record that goes back three or four years

but, yeah, Sheridan is the best columnist in Philly and this was a powerful piece

5. Simon_Cowbell

I meant, figuratively, a blink of an eye ago.

When these kids were infants, 6 years old... 10, 12... and then, I'm sure the train started getting tugged away from the tracks.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

good column by sheridan. i'm sure it's tough to rehash your own personal problems in the paper.

7. I meant, figuratively, a blink of an eye ago.

When these kids were infants, 6 years old... 10, 12... and then, I'm sure the train started getting tugged away from the tracks.

[/quote]

ok, so 6 years old to 23 years old is a figurative blink of an eye

sure

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

ok, so 6 years old to 23 years old is a figurative blink of an eye

sure
    [/quote]

Yeah, it is a figurative blink of an eye.

Sometimes in parenthood, things seem to be moving at a snail's pace. But then you suddenly realize years have passed by in a hurry. It's weird, but true.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Fucking moron.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely, kids grow in a blink of an eye. i saw my accountant's son nine years ago, when he was 13. now, my accountant tells me that short, stringbean of a kid is 6-3, 260.

that's what happens. i'm sure reid's boys were ballboys at eagles camp when he came on the scene there. now, this. it must be mind-boggling to sheridan and others.

like i've posted before, i knew lane kiffin when he was a 15-year-old ballboy at jets camp. now he's the raiders coach.

it's all in the blink of an eye. and you get that perspective most in other people's kids. from one sighting to the next, it really hits you.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not sure what is more annoying here.

People pissing and moaning over the definition of a "blink of an eye" when discussing a column about heroin addiction.

Or the inability of many to figure out THE QUOTE FUNCTION.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That's a close call but I'll go with the blink-of-an-eye moaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted