1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Robertson prayed for a 'Jesus man' to be president at today's NASCAR invocation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2016.

1. So?
    It's NASCAR ... the same outfit that had a preacher thank God for "his Smoking Hot Wife," during the invocation a few years ago. It ain't church. It's nothing more than a chance for a little spotlight. Honestly, I had no idea DD was still on the air.
    Plus, and this is a biggie, the Roberston Clan was the race sponsor. They forked over millions to once again sponsor that race. I'm sure NASCAR had NO issues with prayers for a Republican President. As noted above, hell that's 99.9999999 percent of the fan base. ....
    In addition to the ratings, there was also a lot of empty seats last night.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Empty seats following a two hour rain delay?

No way!

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The consensus here seems to be, "It's a redneck sport that no one cares about except people I would never associate with. Therefore, who cares if politics was brought into the invocation?"

It's the invocation, and there's a reason that they have it in this sport and not basketball, baseball, and other sports: Because people can and have died doing this. What Phil Robertson did was an absolute disgrace. I understand that it's not the most important thing that will happen this weekend. But NASCAR should be embarrassed.

4. For a Saturday night race, even with a two-hour delay, that was a lot of empty seats.

5. Smokin' hot wife

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think that's why they do an invocation ... They do it because they always have.

That said, I agree with you on the rest.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I agree with DW that it's inappropriate.

Praying for a particular party to win the presidential election during an invocation is uncouth.

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  8. doctorquant

They went to two races at Texas right at the absolute peak of NASCAR's popularity (when it was the new hot thing for a lot of people). They had 200,000+ at TMS in 2003 but they've not come close to that since.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no issue with that one. I'm not asking that the invocation be an absolutely solemn affair. Worship is a celebration after all, right? The problem here is very specific: Phil Robertson injected partisan politics into the pre-race invocation.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can't blame a dimwitted messenger if there are 100,000 people already receptive to the message. Obviously Phil Robertson is beneath contempt, as is his whole fucking retarded family, customers and viewers. Krypto-Klan supporters hiding behind outhouse and Chevy.

11. doctorquant

But enough about Bernie Sanders ... [\ducking]

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You don't think NASCAR knew exactly what it was getting?

You give an asshole a platform, don't be surprised if he/she uses it to spout the aforementioned assholery.

Draft saved Draft deleted