1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Mickelson- Real or Fake???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Like he's a clown. Like he's here to fucking amuse you.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Many writers will tell you that Phil is the ultimate Eddie Haskell....smiles and shakes hands at the right moments, acts like a total jerk when he can get away with it. I don't know, maybe that describes all of us, but I've heard it enough to wonder what's the real deal, and what's for PR value.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Never met the man, either personally or professionally.

But I hope Mickelson wins, if only to see another grimacing performance from Tiger.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Msybe Vijay is just jealous of Moobs' popularity.

5. I've never dealt with him, but have read the rumors about him being a phony.

One thing I thought he did recently though was really cool, cool enough for me to think he's a good guy. At the PGA event in New Orleans, he pledged his earnings check for the week to Katrina rebuilding efforts. It turns out that he didn't have a really good week, earning around $87,000 or so if I remember right. So he actually said something along the lines that he hoped he would have done better and wound up giving $250,000, making up the difference out of his pocket.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can understand why people think Phil is a Phake, and maybe they might even be right, but I cannot for the life of me understand why Tiger gets a free pass from these same people. For years, I think it was ok because Tiger was such a ruthless ass kicker on the course, and Phil was a schlub who always made just enough mistakes and always found a way to come up short. But that's not he case anymore.

Is Mickelson a fake? I don't know. Maybe. I've heard things that could lead me to believe he is, and he isn't. Doesn't make me like him any less as a golfer either way.

But is Tiger a fake? Absolutely. In fact, it's kind of an accepted truth. We all know he's not the warm, grinning, PC nice guy we see in commercials, in press conferences and at these clinics for kids he occasionally does. Yet nobody wonders whether or not he's being genunie if he gives money to charity. (Which he doesn't do as often as Mickelson does, by the way. Also, a few players complained privately after the tournament in New Orleans that Mickelson was trying to show them up by donating his check. Way to have some perspective, guys.)

How many professional golfers are really 100 percent genuine anyway? Jason Gore and Christina Kim. That's two. And that's about it.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed about Mickelson is that he pulls off the name-saying trick very effectively.

For example, if you're in a presser where you're asked to ID yourself into the mic... And I say, "Luggie from the Tahoe Town Crier.... " When he goes to answer the question, he often says, "Well, LUGGIE..... "

Let's not pretend it's not a bit of an ego boost, even if it's fleeting.

8. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Winner winner chicken dinner. The lady nailed it, per my experiences with him over the past few years.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I used to have an Eddie Haskell T-shirt.

"Good evening, Mrs. Cleaver ..."

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who the bigger attention whore is, Mickelson or Schilling. Eddie Haskell is a solid description, but I can't completely fault the guy for being aware of the camera or the microphone.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A TV tournament a couple of years ago caught Phil reaming someone out over something that seemed minor. But guys I know who cover him also say he's a very good guy.
    So I don't know.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Somebody nailed this back in '06.

Yeah - I dug this thread back up - thought it would be fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted