1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Mickelson a cheater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, any rules official would call it an improper drop.
    Don't argue with me on this subject. You'll just embarrass yourself.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From Merriam-Webster, rube:

Main Entry: il·le·gal
    Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gəl\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French illegal, from Medieval Latin illegalis, from Latin in- + legalis legal
    Date: 1538
    : not according to or authorized by law : unlawful, illicit; also : not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)
    — il·le·gal·i·ty \ˌi-li-ˈga-lə-tē\ noun
    — il·le·gal·ly \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈlē-gə-lē\ adverb

3. Wow...so now that you've broken out the Webster, can we officially get back to the real topic of this post. Does it bother anyone that a guy using a 50-inch putter to resurrect his game is calling out a guy using clubs that are approved? Even though the long putter is now an accepted and approved club, I think McCarron is also violating this so-called "spirit of the rule."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Regardless of what's in the dictionary, golf rules officials don't refer to rules situations in terms of legal or illegal. They call them proper or improper, or in equipment cases, conforming or non-conforming.
    Deal with it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hate arguments on the golf threads. The gentleman's game, dammit!

Absolutely, it's conforming/non-conforming in print. In Wild West messageboard-land, we can let the occasional 'illegal' slide.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a load of shit. Should we go back to the days where that F-bomb whoring diva would not have been allowed to play? Was that more Gentlemanly?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fred Funk?

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Steve Pate?
    Well then.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The dog and beer parts are true, though. The wife had better sense!

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You get stalked by JC. I get stalked by BYH. Watch. He'll post here by the end of the day.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I kind of laughed when Tom Watson--right on point with his remarks about Tiger needing to be contrite about his marital missteps (story's on espn.com)--started veering off into Tiger's on-course behavior.

I could hear Judge Smails in my head..."Spaulding! What have I told you about your language?"

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Watson's point is that the great ones: Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Nelson, Snead and himself, presumably, didn't throw tantrums on the course. There are players who did (Tommy Bolt, Billy Maxwell, Steve Pate, Frank Lickliter) but none at the level to which Tiger aspires.

Draft saved Draft deleted