1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Mickelson a cheater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 29, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Do you really think Nike golf equipment is "superior?"

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not their driver.

Tour has released a statement saying Mickelson is within his rights to use the Ping wedge and McCarron's comments were "inapproproate, at best."
    McCarron's a member of the Player Advisory Council. The PAC has a scheduled meeting with Tim Finchem Tuesday at the site of the LA Open. Mickelson and McCarron are also entered in the tournament.
    Should be fun.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So what's up with the hints here that Phil is cheating off the course?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's been a whisper here and there but never anything solid. You'd think with everything Tiger is going through, and all his babes coming out of the woodwork, that if there was a skank or two in Phil's past, they would have contacted TMZ by now.
    Phil gets some crap for a few things, some unjustified, some close to the mark. But he apparently doesn't have an infidelity issue.

5. SI shelved a story about three years ago that Mickelson had a love child in Ohio. He had not played a Tour event in that state in quite some time. The story fizzled...

Whether you're a fan of Mickelson or not, if you're a fan of golf, then you are a fan of the individualistic nature of the sport. Mickleson has an ongoing feud with the USGA and this is another way of thumbing his nose at them. But more importantly, hopefully all of the golf writers remember one thing about McCarron's statements, that Mickelson is violating the "spirit of the rule."

My history on the long putter is fuzzy. But I think Charlie Owens first used it on the Senior Tour because he was unable to bend his back in the traditional putting position. The USGA approved the putter, initially stating that it did not fundamentally change the game (enter Casey Martin argument here). Since then, with the evolution of the belly putter, et al. the debate has raged about it's design and it's benefit to players with the "yips." But basically anyone that uses the putter is violating the "spirit of the rule." Anybody know what McCarron has putted with in the past and may still be today?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't you think if there was anything to that, the chick would have come out of the woodwork by now?

7. I honestly don't know anymore...again, they're rumors but I do know SI was working this story and had a source. It fizzled, but after what's finally come out about Tiger all bets are off. I guess to answer your question, I would ask one back...how come more of Tiger's girls aren't chirping?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

13's not enough?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people root for Tiger because they want to witness history.

I don't see how anyone can be a Pete Rose fan, personally.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Uh; You might want to double check that. The WGC is held in Akron every year.

Just sayin.

11. I'm sorry what I meant was they are not talking now...they've been paid off.

Draft saved Draft deleted