1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Mickelson a cheater?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The whole point was that they wanted to take these clubs out of the hands of the golfers.

I also doubt the PGA is excited about the prospect of John Daly getting rich as the middleman supplying fellow pros with grooved wedges at inflated prices.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff from Harig. Yeah, with the way the equipment is now, I would think if I'm a competitor that if some guy wants to use a 20-year-old legal club, have at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I don't think that's what's happening, Ace.

And the reason Eye-2s are legal in the first place is because back in the late '80s, Karsten Solheim, the late founder of Ping, took the USGA to court over the legality of his clubs. The blue jackets wanted to rule them non-conforming and Solheim went to the mattresses to prevent this.

After millions in legal fees were spent on both sides, they reached an agreement that clubs manufactured before April 1, 1990 were grandfathered in as legal.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just joking about Daly.

Really, no one has any reason to gripe. If the players don't like it, get your own off ebay.

If the PGA doesn't like it, buy 'em all up and melt them down and make them into a tasteful, nude statue of Tiger Woods.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's bleeping funny.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As long as it's tasteful, Ace. ;D

But you'll get my Eye-2s when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. ;)

7. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I'm a huge Mickelson fan so take this for what it's worth.
    Scott McCarron should shut his mouth. Phil Mickelson probably thinks players who use a belly putter are cheating but he's far too classy to say anything about it.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Similar, but not quite the same, there was the "inferior equipment" quote a little while back so I'm not so sure classy is how I'd perceive him.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the part I don't understand. How does one become a huge Mickelson fan? The word smarmy was practically invented for the guy.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Phil looks like a genuine human being next to Tiger. Funny how that can change. Phil used to be the guy branded as a phony.
    Back to the clubs...when it was Dean Wilson and John Daly using the pings, no one said a word. When it's Phil, now it's a thing.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Golf administrators are to blame, not the players.

12. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Well, I became a Mickelson fan by watching him win his first PGA tournament as an amateur and continued for no other reason than he was fun to watch.
    It's not easy being a Mickelson fan at times, as everyone knows, since he self destructs so often. But I remain loyal.
    However, he doesn't spit on TV, doesn't swear, doesn't fuck anything with a hole. He is known to sign autographs for little kids.
    He may have once commented on Tiger having inferior equipment, but I don't recall him calling him a cheater.
    I would like to ask any Tiger fans out there how they could become such huge Tiger fans. I knew since the first moment he appeared on tour that he was an asshole. Nothing he has done since has shown him to be anything other than possibly the biggest asshole in sports.
    I wonder how many so-called Tiger fans are going to remain loyal fans now that it's been shown that he's a horrible human being. Stay true to your man, I say, like we Mickelson fans do.

Draft saved Draft deleted