1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Jasner breaks cardinal rule -- does he get away with it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Mar 25, 2008.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Bottom line is, neither the game nor Phil's lede was so compelling that it warranted burying the score so far down.

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

jesus, people

the story is fine

jasner is the best beat writer in a top-5 market and has been for 20 years

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Isn't it our job as journalists to tell the story behind the game? Chances are, a true fan, or even an occasional fan has already looked at the score on the Internet or watched the game. When they read the game story, they don't want to know how many points AI2 scored, rather, how he scored them and what they meant.

I know there are regular people (non-team fans) that read the sports pages, but I don't see anything really wrong about burying the score near the middle. Maybe he could have flipped a few grafs and put the score higher, but I find nothing wrong with it.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree with all of that. Except it would have cost nothing to move the score up a couple of grafs, and at the very least make it the first score you come to.

But I know how it works. On deadline, you just can't figure out a way to get that score higher. I've been there. And then the next morning, you open the paper and the solution pops you right in the face.

This isn't a bad story, by any means. I just wish the first score was the final score. And it could have been done.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. Didn't realize.

It's super!!!! Don't change a thing.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I think the final score should be the first score mentioned in the story. That should make me "hardcore" about the rule, but judging by some of the comments here I'm not even close.

I think the breaking of the rule was OK in this instance, since rules are made to be broken. But as I said earlier, I don't think this was the right context to use that type of writing style, because the game just wasn't that important.

Not to compare this story to Dan Jenkins' 1971 SI classic about Texas-Oklahoma, but do any of you "hardcore" score-meisters say the same thing about Jenkins not getting the score up higher in that story?

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Can't really compare a newspaper gamer to a story in a weekly magazine. Obviously it's not as important to get to the score quickly in a mag.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think Phil's been on the beat more than 30 years.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I think the whole point of the story is driving home the significance of the game. If it were Game 7 of the Finals, it wouldn't work because it'd be ridiculously overwritten.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm not convinced the lede works but as someone who cares about the team, I disagree strongly that the game wasn't significant -- it's probably their biggest win in years. Maybe he didn't do a good enough job of conveying that.

11. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

the headline has to be taken into consideration also, and i have to think the headline told the readers who won. that would seem to cover it, no?

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

The thing is, he's not writing for Boston or a national audience. He's writing for Philly, and this game might be a huge deal there.

Draft saved Draft deleted