1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Jackson, Roy Williams make HOF, Vitale doesn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 2, 2007.

1. I do have a question about a particular player; who's butt does Adrian Dantley have to kiss to get into the Hall? my God.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They should elect Vitale after he dies to spare us all the speech. Jim Valvano's been dead 14 years this month and he's still a better coach.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm amazed, too, that anyone would think Vitale is not at least worthy of consideration for this.

You look at the college basketball landscape before he showed up, and look at it today. He had a lot to do with that change.

Do I like his delivery? No. But the man is an icon.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Maybe if the entire Duke team made it into the Hall of Fame, Vitale would be right behind them licking up their droppings

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Used to be; now, like so many others, he's a caraciture of himself...

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Unless Vitale was the very first person to start an NCAA office pool, I think his "contributions" to the game of college basketball are very over-rated. Vitale didnt coach Villanova to the perfect game against Georgetown in 1985. Vitale didn't dunk the airball to give NC State the win over Houston in 1983. Vitale didnt hit the game winning jumper to lift Indiana over Syracuse in 1987. Vitale didn't throw away the pass to James Worthy in the 1982 title game. The entire decade of the 80s provided some thrilling moments in championship games that fueled the popularity of the sport.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Used to be" is enough, slap. He did the legwork to get the game to the apex.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

man, you are an argumentative sort today.. ;)

No, the parody ended short of the apex.
    When Vitale sits down and turns off the hype and nonsense, he is a solid analyst. But the line blurred well before the apex.
    It's like Berman. The nicknames and all were cute for a while, but their day is long past. And any semblance of being taken seriously is blown away by this cartoon buffoon we've known for years...

Draft saved Draft deleted