1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Gramm: What recession?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 10, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And maybe we should explore what brought us to where we are, too.

Let's see ... the credit crisis ... liberals complained because unqualified people were being turned down for loans. They whined and whined. Then standards were changed and a bunch of bad risks got loans and then defaulted on them. Voila! A credit crisis. Thanks liberals.

And with all those defaults, there are now too many houses on the market, driving down all the sale prices. Thanks, again, liberals.

Oh, and then there's the oil crisis. Liberals banned us from drilling on a site in Alaska about the size of an airport in the 90s. Now those chickens have come home to roost. Would drilling for our oil take care of everything? No. But it certainly would help. Thanks, again, liberals.

"But, but, but, that oil won't be available for 10 years." That's not a reason not to go and get it. Your favorite "alternative fuels" won't be available for 20-30 years -- if at all. I guess we shouldn't pursue those, either, then. Right?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes, by all means, the solution to a rotten economy is to affix blame. Seems to me a bad economy is the sort of complex nationwide problem that transcends easy, unsubstantiated accusations - for example, that the oil companies are sitting on 68 million acres of pre-existing federal leases that would outproduce ANWR by an order of magnitude, but aren't drilling them.

But hey, if you're conceding now that we're actually in a recession, I suppose that's something.

Oh, and we've had a Republican hand on the economic throttle of this country for 20 of the last 28 years, so go figure.

3. old_tony

You might want to tell Pelosi and Reid that they're Republicans. And Tip O'Neil and Daschle, too. I believe they're under the impression that they're Democrats as they push budgets and spending bills through Congress.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This 'old tony' thing - it's a caricature, right? I mean nobody really talks like this. They can't.

He says everything is fine, everything is fine - GDP is positive... then finally caves in, and its all the "liberal's fault".

Is this some sort of Borat-type schtick? Its gotta be. Nobody in real life can be this moronic.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The solution to our current economic woes lies well outside easy partisanship and blame-laying. I'm sure that's hard for folks on both sides of the aisle to get past.

6. old_tony

I never said everything is fine. But we are not yet in a recession.

While the liberal mafia here at SJ wants to blame Bush for everything, let me ask you this: What was the price of oil per barrel and gas per gallon before Pelosi and Reid took over?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fingers in ears.

Yelling, "LA, LA, LA."

It's really too bad this generation's Hoover isn't running for his second term, this time.

Roadkill.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Quite right indeed...as well as by not relying on bad economic measures like GDP.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Today, Rush Limbaugh pointed to Major League Baseball parks filled to 80 percent capacity as a sign that the economy is doing well. If times were really that bad, could so many people afford to go to the ballgame, he asked.
    A few months ago, after the NASCAR race in Las Vegas, Jerry Doyle made a similar observation. All these people coming into Las Vegas for the race, driving, flying, staying in hotels, gambling, etc. How bad could times be if so many people had the money to do that.
    Somehow I don't think baseball or NASCAR attendance mean anything about how the economy is.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A quick skim reveals that the only person to post the name 'Bush' on this thread has been you. And what was the oil/gas price per barrel/per gallon before we invaded Iraq? Bet it was lower, huh? How much was it before the Red Sox won the World Series? Lower! How much was it before the cell phone was invented? Lower! How much was it before they perfected the transistor? Lower! How much was it when Truman left office? Lower!

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Tony, the only problem I have with this is that my paycheck versus the cost of living is shrinking every day, every year, and the disparity of income in this country is widening to the point where us middlers are having to fall on one side of the fence or the other. Athletes might be their own corporations, which translates to plenty of dietician and personal assistant jobs, but I'm on a downward slope and I'm working just as hard as ever. That's what bugs me.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And a good reason why your paycheck is shrinking is because the government is continually finding new and creative ways to take more of it from you........

But electing a big tax and spender like Obama will solve that -- Christmas in January - health care and higher education for all FREE of charge!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted