1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Gramm: What recession?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 10, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The only people I see whining are the executives from Wall Street running to the government for bailouts.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sort of hard to tell, isn't it? What with a national metric for inflation that includes neither the skyrocketing costs of food nor fuel, and an unemployment metric that no longer takes into account people who have actually given up looking for work. If we went back to the old standards of measuring these things, our current economy would actually bear a remarkable resemblance to that of the Jimmy Carter era. Which was, to hear the Republicans tell it, the very model of a "recession."

See Kevin Phillips' new book "Bad Money" for more.

3. poindexter

What with a national metric for inflation that includes neither the skyrocketing costs of food nor fuel,

LOL - classic - the inflation number doesn't include oil or food. So if you don't eat, and don't drive a car, and don't heat your house in the winter, inflation is completely under control.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And, again, inflation has nothing to do with whether we are or aren't in a recession. In fact, to have inflation and recession (remember "staflation" under Jimmy Carter?) at the same time is incredibly unusual.

5. poindexter

Define this 1% growth, Old Tony.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sorry, o_t. Not historical any more. Just go to Google News and enter "stagflation." Here's an article from Forbes. This morning.

Ethanol and food ingredient maker Penford (nasdaq: PENX - news - people ) sunk 11.7%, or $1.66, to $12.51, in afternoon-trading after it posted 46.0% drop in earnings. The move was emblematic of the so-called "stagflation" enveloping the U.S. economy, which is the nasty combination of stagnant growth and inflation.

Stagflation became synonymous with the U.S. economy of the mid- and late-1970s. Back then it was high oil prices, labor contracts with inflation clauses, and good, old-fashioned low confidence. This time around stagflation's risen from economic weakness due to the housing and credit crises and inflation from spiking commodity prices.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/commodities/2008/07/10/penford-ethanol-food-markets-equity-cx_cg_0709markets20.html

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://useconomy.about.com/od/economicindicators/a/GDP-statistics.htm

We've yet to have one quarter of negative growth, and a recession isn't official until two consecutive quarters of negative growth. But keep trying.

8. poindexter

Good ol' GDP. It's so fucking lame. Why do I bother on these threads?

9. OT is getting all technical on the definition of recession in order to defend the good ol' GOP at all costs.

As I mentioned in another discussion recently, I left sportswriting after 5 years and recently finished a bachelor's degree in Econ. I did a Q&A in March with a former professor who specializes in macroeconomics at one of the top Econ departments in the South for a newsletter I was writing for.

Here was his answer then to whether we're in a recession:

"We are more than likely in a recession, but whether the "official" definition of recession is met or not is not important. Everyone knows the economy is not doing well! Plus while GDP may have grown slightly, GDP per person has gone down since the 4th quarter last year. How long will the malaise last? I think recovery may come in the second half of 2009."

So, no, the official definition of a recession hasn't been met yet. But everybody besides Old Tony and Phil Gramm realize that the current fucked up state of the economy is more than just a mental thing.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Exactly. If I go burn $1,000 on my credit card, I've improved my personal GDP.

It's as stupid for Bush supporters to crow over as it was Clinton folks.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

OK. I will.

You're hanging your argument on statistics that no longer measure anything real. Reset to the old standards of measurement (ca. 1979 or so), here's our current economy, expressed on each graph as the blue line.

GDP
    [​IMG]

Unemployment
    [​IMG]

Inflation
    [​IMG]

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data

You can argue this all you want - and I haven't even mentioned that the Dow has lost 3000 points in 9 months - but there's a reason people believe the US economy is tanking. Because it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. poindexter

Currency devaluation
    Deficit spending
    Trade deficit
    Dependency on foreign investment
    Service-based economy
    High consumer debt levels
    Rising unemployment
    Rising cost of necessities
    Falling housing market
    Falling equity market
    Tightening credit market
    Negative real interest rates
    Rising bankruptcies
    Negative wage growth
    Zombie banks
    War
    Falling living standards
    Crumbling infrastructure
    Energy dependency
    Little mass transit
    Falling tax revenues
    Unfunded safety net liabilities
    Government leaders whose financial intelligence is on par with that of a Zimbabwean

But GDP is positive. Move along, folks. Nothing wrong here - and quit whining.

Draft saved Draft deleted