1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phelps: Greatest Olympian or just Greatest Swimmer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Some people have a need to put Jordan in any discussion that has greatest in the title. God forbid we start a thread about the greatest baseball players to never make it past double A

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Greatest Olympic boxers were Teofilo Stevenson, Laszlo Papp and Felix Savon who each won three golds. Papp won his in two divisions.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I believe Spitz left the country while the standoff was still going on in the Olympic Village.

As for Lewis, losing the 200m in Seoul (to Joe DeLoach) hurts his cause. The Greatest Olympian of All-Time can't lose that race in his prime.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

There are those who think Lewis let his teammate and best friend win that 200, Boomer.

As for great track performances, as much as I love Michael Johnson's 200-400 in Atlanta and there have been some impressive distance doubles (I think Lagat will pull off a 1,500-5,000 doublke in Beijing), my favorite track double was Alberto Juantorena's 400-800 in Montreal. That guy was a beast.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, if Lewis actually did let DeLoach win, I think that hurts his case more than it helps. I understand that some might disagree with me on that.

But I don't see how you can count it in his favor without being able to prove it.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I can't see why anyone would disagree. If you're going to compete, compete to win. Phelps and Lochte are pals, but the former wouldn't tank a race to let the latter win.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who would agree to throw out a first pitch if they can't throw?

Who would agree to sing in front of thousands if they can't sing?

Trying to read Carl's mind mind be a little tough.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Perhaps. But he was .01 seconds faster in Seoul than LA.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Too many chances to pile up gold medals, with the variation in physical requirement for each event being merely incremental.

10. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Is the difference really incremental? More so than the difference between, say, the long jump, triple jump and high jump? Or running the 100, 200, or 400?

I really dunno -- just asking.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Wouldn't there be a greater difference in physical requirements for a swimmer winning medals across free/back/butterfly/breast disciplines at different distances than there would be for running at different distances?

I think any argument that invokes "range of physical requirements" probably gets you to Bob Mathias. Won the gold in the decathlon twice.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Lewis was a doper. He tested positive and the USOC quashed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted