1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phelps: Greatest Olympian or just Greatest Swimmer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What he said, but with a caveat that we are talking about the greatest American Olympian.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Why do you hate America?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

FOF makes a darn good case.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jay,

I believe Phelps is cleaner than Carl Lewis, or Sergei Bubka for that matter.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what Phelps does in 2012. He's said he doesn't want to do the 400 IM in London, and wants to do some other races. To this point, he now has golds in all three relays and the following solo events: 100 fly/200 fly/200 IM/400 IM/200 IM. He set 2 world records in 2004 and could get 8 now.

So, what if he switches events in London. What if he wins at the shorter/longer freestyles? Or the backstroke? Or the breast?

I realize it's four years away, but if he can show dominance in some other events, he have to be my choice.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr F,

Athletics trumps swimming every time ... a level playing field with Phelps would be to hand Al Oerter golds for winning with a series of different sized disci and then conclude it by having him toss a frisbee. Discus also trumps the pool because of Ancient Greek / Leni Riefenstahl stuff. It's a signature event of the games -- the IM or 4 X 200 this or that is not up to the standard. Track people in general and throwers in particular, his contemporaries and those who came after, just marvel at the late AO.

YD&OHS, etc

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree wth everything fof says about Oerter but I still think he's No. 2 to Lewis.

7. friend of the friendless

Venerable nited,

At least Oerter would give you a chance as a sire.

YD&OHS, etc

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very true, friend of

And speaking of great Olympians, did you notice that Peter Coe, father/coach of Seb, died over the weekend.

9. friend of the friendless

Mr 96,

Just remember that Carl Lewis lost an Olympic race and lost/did not qualify for events at Olympic trials. Lewis also benefited from team/relay stuff.

And Venerable One, yup, I saw Coe's father's passing -- always struck me as a little posh, but Seb was always a class act. (I was an Ovett fan.)

YD&OHS, etc

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Had a great experience with Ovett when he ran Millrose at the Garden..first time on a 160-yard banked track. He was lucky he could run a lap without falling down... hysterical.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Gustav 5 of Sweden: "You, sir, are the greatest athlete in the world."
    Jim Thorpe: "Thanks, King."
    1912. Stockholm. Won Decathlon. Also won Pentathlon.( The Decathlon w/o the weights, pole vault, and hurdles.) And I don't care what the IOC says.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure I've ever disagreed with anything as much as this. With all the golds and world records, it's clear, at least to me, that Phelps is by far the greatest swimmer of all time. The only thing Spitz has on Phelps, for now at least, is the seven golds at one Olympics.

Then again, I know very little about Spitz, other than his seven golds. Can someone provide an argument for him?

Greatest Olympian? Tough call, but I'd probably take Lewis.

Draft saved Draft deleted