1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phawker: Stephen A. Smith loses Inquirer column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've done 10 hours a week of radio for the last few years. My prep is reading the newspaper and watching SportsCenter which most of us do anyway. I might talk to the station manager a couple times a year... If I'm traveling or have a practice I have to be at, I call in...

Most of the time you can just open the phone lines and you blink and two hours are done... If you have a good person that you're on the air with, it's just about as easy as you can imagine...

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And let's also not forget Smith was (and still might be) in the running for Dan Patrick's old timeslot.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If Stephen is done, I hope the Inquirer replaces him with a columnist who has some ties to the black community.

Diversity in skin tone often isn't a solution, but in this case, it should be a consideration.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And Stephen A's radio show is on in New York. Granted, it's only 90 minutes up the road, but still ...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now simply having a second job is an ethical breach?

Not buying that one, my friends. If newspapers want their people to only write for the newspaper, they can start by paying more.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nope. I said it's a practical consideration. How many jobs can you have before you start shortchanging one audience to serve another?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think the nature of the second job will determine that.

As Mizzou has pointed out, flying across the nation for ESPN/ABC or spending most days in NYC doing ESPN Radio or taping "Quite Frankly" is different than driving crosstown to the local sports radio affiliate.

8. I don't know, jmac, but it's a question that the business itself should face up to, as to why a lot of people HAVE to put themselves into that position.
    And it's not that much different, I_W. The point obtains.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As a matter of practical consideration, all jobs are certainly not equal, and, thus, no parallel with Canzano exists.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No, all jobs aren't equal. But the question remains - whether we're discussing Canzano or Smith or Marriotti or Lupica - how many masters can any of us serve before we start phoning some of it in?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It's too bad -- Stephen A. had a lot more talent with the pen then he does with the mic, but you gotta go where the money is.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He has been phoning in the column for awhile... Usually the big name guys completely get away with it because they're so closely identified with the paper, but apparently the Inquirer has had enough...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.