1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pgh PG starts sports storytelling series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, May 4, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

2. dailygrind

dailygrind Member

Shitty writing. Shitty hack-ass move by the paper.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

When I referred to people liking crap in another Journalism Topics thread, this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. And as mentioned above, the paper's getting this done for free.

Like I Digress said, painful to read. Sappy, cliched melodrama involving the kids always works, though.

Do people really say "have a catch"?

4. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

Dude's from Ambridge, what do you expect?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Great. Find non-professionals who have something to say and an entertaining way of saying it. I'm sure they're out there. Why sacrifice standards to run crap like this?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sigh ... because perhaps your readers occasionally like the "charm" of imperfection.

My hometown newspaper had a little old lady write an around-the-town gossip column for years. It was terribly written, with "Pennsylvania Dutch" usage, poor spelling and syntax. It ran with a strict "do-not-edit" edict from the publisher.

It was easily the most popular read in that newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted