1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pgh PG starts sports storytelling series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, May 4, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is that on paper or just the internet?
  3. daemon

daemon Member

Well, they aren't off to a very good start, because the first one is not a story. A cliche-ridden essay that contains zero ounces of fresh perspective? Sure. But not a story.

But hey, it filled up space and they didn't have to pay anybody to fill it, and I'm sure Tom Matvey's friends and family will all purchase a copy of yesterday's paper.
  4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, at least they're trying something, rather than letting their product dry up and blow away. A lesson to be learned?
  5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I'm sure many readers related to that story. Geez, who would have thought. Something interesting in the newspaper. What we do is not rocket science. Other people can do it as well as us. And, perhaps, they can do it in a voice that occasionally touches more readers that we "professionals". I'll be interested to see where this goes.
  6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well intentioned, but that was painful to read.
  7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That was the shits and may inspire more of the same.
  8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Let it. The faction that doesn't care for the writing style can turn the page.

But to parrot what inky said, people often enjoy others' writing without the "others" being professionals.
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

At some point, I'd just rather it dry up and blow away.
  10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

It's reader involvement, rather than the staff writers patting themselves on the back by trying to one up each other with style and content. All the contributions come from people outside of the paper.
  11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, it is possible, you know -- but isn't this just a different version of citizen journalism that we've all grown to loathe and make fun of?
  12. tagline

tagline Member

Draft saved Draft deleted