1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA vs PGA Tour

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cowboycane, Sep 9, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm a little amused that it's such a big thing when somebody at the Washington Post makes a mistake. Do you think they fucking walk on water?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Actually, yeah, shot, the Washington Post, with their army of copy editors should catch stupid shit like that. Maybe moreso than the 40K I work for. This is a stupid error. Hell, even me, a dumbass-working-for-a-40K-ass knows the difference between the PGA of America and the PGA Tour. I think the Washington Post should too. Same reason I hold SI to a higher standard.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Plus, there has been a PGA Tour event in the Washington D.C. area since 1968 and its first commissioner after the touring division of the PGA of America broke away to form the PGA Tour was Deane Beman -- a native of the D.C. suburbs. Fred Funk, not a superstar but a solid player, also comes from there.
    No excuse. None.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Stand down.
    If Wilbon had screwed up the organizations and their responsibilities, then he could be seriously chastised.
    But to make reference to the PGA in that context is hardly egregious.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

I hope you hold yourself -- not SI or the Washington Post -- to the highest standards. (And I'm not defending their mistakes.)

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I doubt the big-time columnists sweat the mistakes they make in print anymore.

That's for the slugs on the desk to catch, freeing up the stars for their TV shows, their radio gigs and their magazine commitments.

Newspapers, ya know, are just so gauche.................

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, we already know Albom can make things up and survive.

8. i only wish i made 40k at my current gig, i'd be fucking LOADED.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think that's the subscription number my buddy, the talented Cosmo, works for.

10. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Like Hondo and a few others on this board, I'm a GWAA member and covering those who hit dimpled balls with crooked sticks is how I made my living for a few years ... so for whatever perspective that lends me, I think it's a mistake that shouldn't be made, but certainly not a stop-the-presses moment.

Here's the litmus test I apply: when people around the game talk casually about the governing body, they refer to "the Tour" and certainly not "the PGA." No one says or writes "PGA officials" when they are talking about Finchem and Co; it's "Tour officials," and so on.

If someone says "the PGA" around golf, it's assumed you are referring to the fourth major of the year -- a tournament that feels so insecure about its place in the landscape that it felt obligated to brand itself with a dumbass slogan, but that's an issue for another day.

Therefore, it's doesn't seem a lot to ask of Wilbon or anyone else taking temporary residence in a press tent/clubhouse to call it the PGA Tour. What I don't get is holding the Post, SI or anyone else to a higher or different standard than any other place in the business when it comes to catching this stuff. If it's something that could be found in the AP Stylebook, we're all responsible for it, right?

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Bravo, my friend, bravo. A mistake that's going to signal the end of the world? Not by a long shot. But one that should never, ever be made at this level? Abso-freaking-lutely. This is basic, basic stuff in the golf world. If you don't know better, don't pretend you do. (Cue the golf snob comments in 3-2-1 ...)

12. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I don't know Wilbon -- never met him. But from watching him on PTI I know that he's an avid golfer and someone who has covered lots of golf. He certainly knows the difference between the PGA Tour and the PGA of America and there was no confusion about which organization he was talking about. I see his reference to "the PGA" as simply laziness, not ignorance. Yes, it's a mistake and an inexcusable one (aren't all mistakes inexcusable?). And the desk should have caught it. But some of this criticism strikes me as a little hysterical, on the same order as a reader who gleefully calls the desk because he found a misspelled word in the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted