1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Tour Web Producer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CR19, Jul 17, 2010.

1. CR19

CR19 Member

I caught this on the PGA Tour website while looking for tech support on their media site. Don't know anything beyond what it says below, and I'm not sure on when it was posted. Still worth putting up, though.

Website Producer
    # of openings: 1
    Description
    POSITION OVERVIEW: Under the direction of the Managing Editor and Executive Producer, PGATOUR.com Site Producers are responsible for the editing, production and content programming of PGATOUR.COM. This is an editing position that requires the ability to work within our Content Management System. A background in journalism is preferred. Producers work closely with internal staff, other PGA TOUR departments, and PGATOUR.com production partner Turner Sports New Media to deliver an innovative and compelling interactive experience for PGA TOUR fans.

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Contribute to key competition-day features including, but not limited to:
    > Handling the home page presentation, as well as various tournament home pages
    > Contributing and editing Live Notes packages
    > Editing and producing content generated from staff writers, as well as wire services
    > Working on various staples of our coverage on competition day
    > Coordinating content across the team to create unique packages as events develop
    Day-to-day editing of PGATOUR.com, including:
    > Writing headline, caption and tease copy
    > Choosing compelling photos
    > Editing content for grammar and style
    > Programming editorial franchises (sponsored and un-sponsored)
    Coordinate with onsite tournament multimedia and editorial resources to deliver outstanding content, and maintain a balance between text, video and interactive elements.
    Coordinate with PGA.com site programmers to maintain a seamless cross-traffic experience for users
    Collaborate with editorial teams to create weekly and longer-term content plans
    Assist with the delivery of syndicated/partner content, when necessary
    Support the FedExCup, Charity, and other key TOUR initiatives through data collection
    Some writing, including byline stories, may be involved
    Develop relationships with key TOUR stakeholders—Competitions, TTA, Broadcasting, players, agents, etc—to effectively report on stories and increase exposure for TOUR players and tournaments
    Flexible hours required. Nights and weekends will be part of the monthly shift rotations.
    QUALIFICATIONS:
    Education/Certification: Bachelor's Degree required. Journalism degree preferred but not required.
    Experience:
    Minimum of two to four years of experience required
    Newspaper, magazine or another form of editing experience preferred
    Familiarity with web-based content management tools preferred
    Strong writing skills required
    Sports background is a plus; golf interest required
    Skill set requirements:

Requirement
    Attributes
    Strong knowledge of the Internet (including content, programming, editorial and the related tools and technologies) required
    Creative vision to translate golf into a compelling interactive experience and media environment
    Strong grammar, style and editing ability required
    Attention to detail
    Strong organizational skills
    Team player
    Creative
    Strong Vocabulary
    Design/information architecture capabilities are a plus

2. bjammin180

bjammin180 New Member

If my memory serves me correct, they were hiring for this position a few months back. Not sure if the previous hire isn't working out or if they're taking on more staff.

3. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Have any contact info on this one?

4. CR19

CR19 Member

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think they're well into the interview process.

6. CR19

CR19 Member

Like I said, I'm not sure of when they posted this exactly. I just caught this on "Employment Opportunities" and I figured to post this. I don't know anyone with the PGA Tour, so I can't tell you where the process is right now.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline sez: This is done.

John Schwarb, a man I'm proud to call a buddy, has accepted this job. Not sure of his start date. John has a considerable background in autos and a lot of other things but I must admit I'm not up to speed on his golf experience.
    No matter. John is a pro's pro and can handle anything and he'll kick some ass in this one.

Congrats my friend.

(and, yes, I think John has been told already)

8. What's a Schwarb?

Actually, I also agree a good guy and good friend. Funny, he knows two guys named Mike Harris. I hired John about a hundred years ago at The Daily Commercial in Leesburg, Fla.

Glad to see him doing well.

True story about John, one day when things were a little stress ful at the Commercial, John beat me into the office. He had clipped out the front pic from the local section of the St. Pete Times. On the front was my other half (Now my ex) who was a detective. The picture was her talking on the phone. John had wrote a bubble and in it it said "Mike will you bring home some milk." Which she was known to call me damned near deadline every other night to ask me that question.

The whole office broke up when I came in and saw that on the wall.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Schwarb is a class act, and I'm so happy for him. Plus, now him and his gorgeous wife and daughter will be only 6 hours from me. Yay!

Draft saved Draft deleted