1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fox's M.O is always, always to poach other networks' announcers when it obtains a new sport. Since it has college football, too, and since he has expressed wistful regret that he'll never get to do the 18th hole of a major, Verne Lundquist would be a prime target. So might be Andy North.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Verne will be 75 in June '15. I'd be looking elsewhere.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"TIGER SINKS IT FROM 20 FEET!!! HE'S IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT!!! HA HAAAAAAA LIVE ON FOX!!!!"

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Phil has won a major and finished second in another. Three total wins.
    Tiger has 0 major wins and five total wins.

Who's had the better year?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I get your point, but the only people who care about who wins the Farmers Insurance Open and thirty-some other events is the player, his wife, agent and accountant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Michael_ Gee

Two of Woods' wins, the Players and at Firestone, are a cut above the Farmers.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The PGA has no bigger history of producing out-of-nowhere winners than the Open does, at least in recent years ... sure, there's a Y.E. Yang, Shaun Micheel or Rich Beem every once in a while. But between Micheel and Yang, your winners were Singh, Mickelson, Woods, Woods, Paddy. Not exactly nobodies. Keegan Bradley has been one of the few out-of-nowhere guys to sustain and turn that into a pretty solid career.

I know Robert Garrigus won't sustain his early run, but I'd love to see a guy like him win it. Talked to him at the AT&T National a few years back and he just seemed like a really good dude.

8. Michael_ Gee

Actually, historically the PGA has a far more "name" field of winners than does the U.S. Open. Every player considered historically great in U.S. history has won it except Palmer and Tom Watson, from Hagen on through Woods and Mickelson.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

So far Tiger is spraying his irons, but his short game is so good it doesn't much matter. Not sure that's a winning recipe.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was speaking of the British Open, but your point stands.

11. But isn't Tigers win percentage about .500; as in he's won half the events in which he's played this year?
    I thought I read that somewhere.

I have no idea about his WHIP ratio or on-base percentage, though.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No.

If that's the case they should just play 4 tournaments a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted