1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah,I thought Kiaweh had those qualities... few trees, plain greens, deep bunkers, etc.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Actually, I believe the Ocean Course was going to have more trees, but the property took a direct hit from Hurricane Hugo in '89 when the property was being cleared and the course was being prepared to open in time to host the 1991 Ryder Cup. Mother Nature helped make it a links layout.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Kiawah, which is south and a bit west of Charleston proper, wasn't hit all that hard by Hugo (as compared to other areas). Hugo made landfall north of Charleston -- at the Isle of Palms to be exact. Relatively speaking, Kiawah got a glancing blow ... but a helluva blow nonetheless! My best friend lived in Moncks Corner (west and a bit north) during Hugo, and he worked for the state. He spent the better part of that next week doing nothing but slinging a chainsaw. The first bath he took after the hurricane was in one of the lakes there -- Lake Moultrie -- just in time for the national networks to helicopter over while his ass was shinin' in the sunset!

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Ocean Course is not a true links course because the greens are not receptive to low approaches being run up to them.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

By definition, a links is that land, generally formed into dunesland, between the sandy shore and the more fertile inland ground.

Pebble Beach — no.
    Kiawah — no.
    Torrey Pines — no.
    Bandon Dunes -- haven't been there, but the closest to the real thing in this country, from what everyone says.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bandon Dunes reminded me of some of the courses in Scotland I've seen on TV.

On a links course, do they "manage" the rough? Or just sort of let it grow wherever? (Like my lawn when I'm injured.)

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

CBS has to be giddy about even the possibility of Daly and Woods being in the hunt.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Judging from the early scores, conditions a mite tougher out there today.+

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Far too many courses in the U.S. use the word "links" to describe themselves if there's a couple of stray hills or unkept grass. Nonsense.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tiger three-jacks 18 but still shoots 71 in brutal conditions. Tied for the lead and in the last group Saturday unless Poulter birdies 18. Familiar position after 36 holes again in a major this year.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Oh how I can't wait to say I told you so after Tiger's victory. Yes, Double Down, yes.

And oh how I'll avoid the thread when he shoots 75-77.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Woods may or may not win, but any under par round today was amazing golf. That might have been the best round of that happy-go-lucky Vijay's career.

Draft saved Draft deleted