1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Donald is particularly hard to figure. Good player, to be sure, but seems to always have terrible Thursdays and Fridays in majors.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Dan Jenkins just tweeted that the PGA merchandise tent at Kiawah has already sold out of its allotment of umbrellas.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for the resurrection of Dustin Johnson, especially given the bad break he got at Whistling Straits. This is perfect for him, a fairly open, long, soft course.

I like how the PGA has made the choice to go to much different courses than the US Open.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. There are so many good courses in the US that you could play a different course every year and not run out of good places to play.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

According to what I have been told, the PGA of America and the USGA have made their tournaments kind of an "it's us or them" proposition for America's most distinguished golf courses. This, and again, it's just pro shop scuttlebutt, is what led the Country Club in Brookline to declare a plague on both their houses.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Then whoever does the purchasing for the tent is a moron. It's August in the Lowcountry. It's gonna rain every day at 4 p.m.

Speaking of golf media twitter, it's a two-topic week: bad weather, plus the media hotels are in Charleston, requiring shuttles of 1:15 or more. Boo-hoo. Won't be any fun for spectators either, and they won't have a media center to retreat to in the weather.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Any word on who the "marquee groups" are for online coverage?

8. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

I think Jason Dufner gets it done this time at the PGA. If the winds are swirling he has a huge advantage with his ability to strike the ball pure and flight it low. Plus he's come so close over the last four majors, he'll figure out a way to finish one eventually. Well, that is if a the man formerly known as Tiger Woods shows up, but I don't know where that guy went.

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I feel like it's been a long time coming for Kuchar, but I just don't know if he can put up the four solid rounds he needs to.

I'd hate to see him end up as America's version of Colin Montgomery.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm rooting for Jeff Coston, a club pro who I wrote a feature on a few years back. Really awesome guy. He actually shared the first-round lead for a few minutes at the 2000 US Open.

He gets one of the club pro slots in the PGA almost every year. Made the cut once, IIRC. It's really a big deal for those guys.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude and I are going Friday, thunderstorms be damned. Kuchar could break through, and I liked the way Rory Sabbatini played at the Memorial in bad weather.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very big deal, not the least of which is the cash. I'll be extremely impressed if any play the weekend this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted