1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Kind of neat to see a different venue thrown into the mix ... Island Course hosting its first major. I wasn't much into golf in '91 when the Ryder Cup was played at Kiawah.

Keegan Bradley comes in on a roll and is paired with Tiger (and Martin Kaymer) in the first round going off No. 10.

Since the PGA seems to always be in the running to produce an out-of-nowhere champ, who ya got? Dustin Johnson wouldn't be out of nowhere, but playing close to home, he'll be someone to keep an eye on.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is a total krapshoot:

If the wind is up, you're playing old man par.

If it's calm, you could see some Bob Hope numbers.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep It's a true links course.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Kind of.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the wind is up in August, it brings up the possibility they'll be evacuating Kiawah Island in mid-tournament.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, that would be interesting to watch. Has a PGA event ever been cancelled because of a hurricane?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm liking Matt Kuchar, if you're looking for a first-time major winner. Jason Dufner is due.
    Are Luke Donald or Lee Westwood ever going to win a major? Not sure this course suits them.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i played it a few years back in april and it was brutal. wind was blowing, intermittent rain. Holes that were down wind I was hitting a wedge from 140 (i usually max out at 110) and into the wind I was hitting 3-iron about 150. I think i shot 84 and was pretty happy.
    Our forecaddie said he was out with a group of asians the week before and the wind was blowing so hard that after the round his sunglasses were pockmarked by the sand pebbles that were blowing out of the bunkers.
    It's a neat course, but there are a ton others that i'd play before going back to Kiawah.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i have absolutely no clue who is going to win this. if the wind blows, a euro could win. if it doesn't, anybody could win.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Love a new course in the mix. Vaguely remember the War by the Shore only because our paper in SoCal heavily covered it because it was the hometown paper for captain Dave Stockton.

11. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Zach Johnson and Graeme McDowell are my picks this week.

This course is an absolute beast when the wind blows.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

40% to 50% chance of thunderstorms in the forecast the the first three days, then partly cloudy on Sunday. Wind forecast Thursday-Saturday is between 10-15 mph.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted