1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship (and random golf thoughts) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Aug 14, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Cink didn't make the cut at the British and he ranks 75th in driving distance heading into the longest major ever.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Woods over the field. Woods is going to be pissed about Pelz' comments that when Phil's on, no one can win.

Darkhorse Chad Campbell finally breaks through.

Phil melts the first two rounds.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

doesn't matter about the driving accuracy. I think Cink will be there on sunday.
    and moddy -- cut me some slack. My exec editor has been coming by my desk every time i've got SJ on my screen. gotta post fast and get out, ya know.
    does anybody think Lefty can get there?

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

For a dark horse who's never won a PGA Tour event, how about Brett Quigley? Seven top 10s (including the past two weeks) and three top fives, into 25th on the money list. All along, some of the Rhode Island golf junkies have claimed he has more talent than guys like Brad Faxon and Billy Andrade, who've won on the tour, and is up there with uncle Dana (one of the top dogs on the Champions Tour after partying his way off the tour in his younger days). The only negative against him here is course length, but he's due to break through in a big way.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mickelson will win.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Yep, it's gonna be freaking brutal after the top 6 or 7.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Woods over the field.

Mickelson won't be in contention.

Stewart Cink, Mike Weir and Lucas Glover will have strong, top-10 weeks.

Cink and Verplank will be captain's picks if they don't play their way on to the team.

And don't overlook Vijay. If Tiger falters, Vijay or Retief will be there to snag the trophy.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's not going to be brutal at the top?

Tiger Woods' career Ryder Cup record of 7-11-2?

Jim Furyk's outstanding record of 4-9-2?

Mickelson (9-8-1), Toms (4-3-1) and DiMarco (2-1-1) have winning records for their career, but they haven't exactly torn it up either.

The reason the US has been getting its ass kicked isn't because it's doesn't have players in slots 7-12. It's because the guys in the top seven don't show up, don't play with any comraderie, and don't give a shit when it's over.

I'm all for guys like Vaughn Taylor, Brent Wettrich and Zach Johnson getting a shot. (John Rollins is another story, however.) The Ryder Cup is not stroke play. Match play is flat out different. Give the young guys a chance. What do we have to lose, really?

The people who are freaking out about the fact that veterans like Davis Love III (9-12-5), Justin Leonard (0-3-5), Mark O'Meara (4-9-1) and Fred Couples (7-9-4) won't be there don't get it. They've had their shot. Outside of Couples, I don't think any of them deserve any more chances.

And in case you want to moan and groan about how random the Ryder Cup is, how its unpredictablity and goofy format doesn't lend itself to the good players (like Tiger Woods) having good records, here is how some of the previous generation fared:

Nicklaus: 17-8-3
    Palmer: 22-8-2
    Wadkins: 20-11-3
    Watson: 10-4-1
    Trevino: 17-7-6
    Irwin: 13-5-2
    Billy Casper: 20-10-7

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good post, DD.

I agree with those who say Mickelson won't be in contention. I don't think Ogivly will be either.

Is Freelance going to do the pool? I'd love to, but you all would hate me because I wouldn't be very reliable in updating the standings.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

DD, some of those Ryder Cup records are a little deceiving.

The older guys racked up those numbers back in the days when it was U.S. vs. Great Britain. If the RC were still that way, the U.S. would still be kicking butt every two years. Opening it up to all of Europe made it a whole different game.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

How would this Ryder Cup team look?

Woods
    Love III
    Mickelson
    DiMarco
    Toms
    Herron
    Lehman *possibly
    Z. Johnson
    Glover
    Rollins
    Cink
    Funk?

Not to be anti-American, but those guys wouldn't stand a chance in hell against the Euros.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Going into the final round, Jersey Shore absolutely nailed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted