1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship (and random golf thoughts) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A few talking points:

* Who is going to be the "whodat?" guy who is contention this week? You know, the Rich Beem/Shaun Micheel sort who wins this thing and fades into obscurity.

* I really want to see something impressive from Vaughn Taylor this week, seeing as he's got a good shot to make the Ryder Cup team. His complaints about "distractions" in Michigan a couple of weeks ago were a bit unnerving, to say the least.

* WTF was up with that Phil Mickelson suckfest on CBS before the International broadcast last Saturday? That was free Phil advertising.

* You got Tiger or the field at Medinah?

* Is it time for Vijay, Els or Retief to start feeling the heat if they struggle this week? All great players, of course, but none have been a major factor on Sunday at major for a while.

2. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

Not a "whodat?" guy, but I think Luke Donald fares well this week. Close to his "home" in Chicago. I don't know if there's anything else to my reasoning, but I think Donald has a strong showing at Medinah.

I think Tiger wins it.

And it's about time Sergio does something in a major.

3. Sergio does do something in a major it's called a Sunday choke.

I'll take the field this week over Tiger.

4. Jersey_Shore

Jersey_Shore New Member

A Sunday choke and a banana yellow outfit.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sergio really did wilt on Sunday in Hoylake. Just an awful showing. He's certainly got to be on the clock, because he hasn't even performed all that well this year outside the majors.

Adam Scott will probably start falling into the conversation of "best not to win a major" soon.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Zach Johnson is my dark horse. But Tiger is going to win.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Is Freelance going to run a PGA pool again?

Did we ever find out who won the British pool?

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

TIGER WOODS

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Get the fuck off my thread, twerp.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like Zach Johnson too ... and Brett Wetterich may not be a bad choice, but he's kind of fallen off since his nice run through Texas back in May. One of these potential Ryder Cuppers needs to have a great championship. Hate to see the U.S. limping into that.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Adam Scott is already there. His "problem" is he's one of those streaky "horses-for-courses" guys who can absolutely dismantle some courses -- regardless of dificulty. He just needs to put it all together in a major, which will happen.

And it will happen before Sergio. I'd have Scott winning a major before Sergio, until Banana Boy learns how to putt.

BTW, anyone going to the PGA? I'll be there Friday-Sunday. PM me.....

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wish I was going. Hell, I'm just happy that I don't have to cover golf this weekend. I've missed the last two majors covering local/state events ... can't wait to just laze around Saturday watching the third round.

Draft saved Draft deleted