1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PFT's Florio now a Sporting News columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The Jewell story was not reported by the National Enquirer.
    It was reported by NBC News and the AJC.
    So your analogy really doesn't work at all, Dools.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, try the reading comprehension worksheet again. Two separate points, dealing with two separate arguments. But while we're at it: you support Enquirer-type journalism, too?

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not my point at all, and you know that.
    You're trying to paste the Jewell issue onto the type of reporting done by "rumour" writers, if you want to call them that. And that's wrong, because it was mainstream media that did the reporting there.

And your "success has nothing to do with how journalism should be" argument is naive. If you don't make money, you don't have a publication. If watching newspapers go out of business over the past three decades hasn't taught you that ...

4. dooley_womack1

I'm doing no such thing. So you think newspapers should have banner headlines saying: "Rumor: Mayor Is Gay"? I stand by my point: Newspapers should sink or swim on what they are most valuable and best at: Giving responsible context to the day's events, not to wallow in the cesspool of innuendo that you'd apparently have us in.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Well, Dools. You have taken this argument and thrown it so far off track, I cannot recognize anything from the wreckage. Congrats.

6. dooley_womack1

Again...the reading comprehension worksheet.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And Florio lands the Wade Wilson scoop:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Score one for the lowly blogger.

As for the Jewell comparisons, I tend to think there's a slight difference between that story (life/death) and a trade rumor/coaching firing.

9. dooley_womack1

It's all news, and it all shouldn't be subject to "let's throw shit and see what sticks." I'm sure there are plenty of BLOGGERS! who are at least somewhat responsible in that regard, which is good. I'm not attacking them, I'm attacking the concept that some folks make coin off rumor-mongering, therefore it's what we should be focusing on as journalists.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Scoop? The only thing I see on that link about Wade Wilson quotes a story in the Dallas Morning News.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should read more closely.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

why would someone leave the ny times for sporting snooze? doesn't make sense. go from the world's greatest newspaper to...whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted