1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PFT's Florio now a Sporting News columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Such as ESPN follows, by reporting that Michael Vick was not going to plead guilty to what he pled guilty to, and by reporting that Culpepper will be Raiders QB when everyone else is reporting that McCown will start and the coach says he'll decide Sunday?

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As if there's not already plenty of that at sportingnews.com.

3. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Jared - Having seen the success of PFT, will you feel the same about MLB Talk and NBA Talk? Not saying they're happening, but there's definitely a market for rumors ... and to cliche it up, where there's smoke, there's fire ...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN and SI have rumors on their sites...

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

... unless that's just your neighbor grilling some burgers.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Man, Entertainment Weekly, People Magazine, US Magazine, NY Post Page 6, etc., etc., etc., made an empire off rumors.

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

The difference being, GMs and the people that matter are looking to PFT prior to both of these sites when it comes to rumors.
    Also, i should take this chance to mention the outstanding work PFT has done in regards to much of Len P.'s reporting over at the WWL. Probably in the minority here, but i think that kind of thing is invaluable to fans.

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

That's garbage, Players don't talk to him. He relies on bogus emails and likes to excite a riot. The NFL can't stand him.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

An argument that is its own refutation. Allows me to just sit back. Thanks, TSP.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

is that like inciting a riot?

my sources tell me the sporting news has offered its lead football position to clifton brown of the n.y. times, replacing dan pompei.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Sit back and check out how successful each is.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Success has nothing to do with what journalism should be. You listed examples of what good journalists should avoid (and Entertainment Weekly doesn't belong in that list; it has much higher standards). And "where there's smoke, there's fire" is a bullshit argument. That argument has a body count (see Jewell, Richard).

Draft saved Draft deleted