1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PFT's Florio now a Sporting News columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So says The Big Lead. And confirmed by Florio at ProFootballTalk.com:

http://thebiglead.com/?p=3069

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

So will Sporting News try to rein him in?

3. TheSportsPredictor

How so?

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Well, there's a difference between dealing in rumors, and actually being on the hook for their content/accuracy. I'm sure TSN would not have wanted their brand/reputation to be associated with the erroneous Terry Bradshaw report. So will they rein him in with regard to posting of scuttlebutt/rumors, etc. Or is he working as a straight columnist, and will still do the blog? Is TSN paying to run the blog, or his "regular" writing/columnizing?

5. TheSportsPredictor

Well, ESPN didn't mind being associated with the poor reporting on the Michael Vick will he/won't he plead guilty story.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love PFT, but I have a feeling Florio's column will be way too tame for the PFT loyalists... I hope I'm wrong...

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

My reading of Florio's confirmation is that he's NOT a Sporting News columnist. He's a Sportingnews.com columnist. Apparently SN earlier hired the producer of AOL's Bloggers Live. A perfect demonstration of why the company is dying. Its website that nobody ever sees hires bloggers to hire other bloggers.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wow.
    Slate is writing up this guy like he's changing the face of football writing, but here comes bitter JaredK to bash TSN once again.
    Some things are so predictable.
    So, so predictable.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

That guy is a scumbag and nobody likes him. He's jocking to be something special in football but he's only a bitter blogger. [that's the word I got]

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

that's kinda what i meant.

11. jaredk

jaredk Member

From the Slate column cited by Twoback....

"(Florio) can also post three paragraphs on any subject in real-time without having to jump through the same hoops as a newspaper columnist or a TV reporter. This isn't merely journalistic jujitsu. It's how more and more fans ... are following sports."

That's fine for what he is, an aggregator who's facile with guesses seasoned by snark and delivered for the entertainment for fans. Usually, I prefer the journalism of reporting and verification.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is TSN going to run the turd watch? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted