1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's "Legacy!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ralph Smith, Feb 4, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wait. Wait just a gosh-darned minute.

You seem to be implying that things *besides* a single quarterback may have some sort of impact on the result of a football game. What the hell are you, some kind of soccer-loving commie?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Howard Mudd, reputed to be the best offensive line innovator in NFL history.
    But even that's a reach.

3. RickStain

Whether or not people are consistent in how they make arguments has nothing to do with how good of a quarterback Peyton Manning is or isn't.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Winning the game" is a major, major factor in "game-winning drives."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've made this point before, but Brady has gotten way too much credit for those three Super Bowls early in his career and not nearly enough grief for the past nine years.
    If Manning gets tagged as the greatest regular-season quarterback of all time, Brady ought to be tagged as the best divisional playoff round QB of all time. He's been very good when playing that first playoff game at home. After that, or on the road? Not so much.
    Some of Brady's playoff failings are just as bad as, or worse than, Manning's.

6. RickStain

It's an interesting combination of cognitive biases. It comes up often in sports, but the quarterback position seems to be a high-intensity focal point.

The first cognitive bias is our tendency to overrely on inherent attributes to explain results. Our minds want to believe that if something happened involving a person, then something about that person must have caused it to happen.

This is known as the fundamental attribution bias: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_bias#Fundamental_attribution_error

In short, the fundamental attribution bias is what causes us to believe that in sports, some players are just winners and clutch, and other players aren't. It's the flaw in our brains that makes us believe in "winners win."

This causes people to make all sorts of bad, illogical arguments as to why the QBs who won are winners and the ones who didn't, aren't. And when faced with the illogic of these arguments, we see the second cognitive bias come into play:

The backfire effect
    http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/

Once someone believes that Peyton Manning is a losing loser who loses, evidence to the contrary will only serve to strengthen their belief.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Are you nuts?

New England's last touchdown in the 21-17 loss to the Giants came with 11:20 remaining . . . in the third quarter. Of course, Brady would have only needed a FG (hooray!) to beat the Giants except for that pesky safety he took in the first quarter for intentional grounding in the end zone.

In the other loss, his defense let him down. And "he" lost the game. Sound familiar?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jake Plummer
    Jake Plummer
    Trent Green
    Trent Green
    Steve McNair
    Tom Brady
    REX GROSSMAN
    Joe Flacco
    Mark Sanchez
    Philip Rivers
    Tom Brady

~

Steve McNair
    Jay Fiedler
    Chad Pennington
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Philip Rivers
    Philip Rivers
    Drew Brees
    Mark Sanchez
    Joe Flacco
    Russell Wilson

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tyree's catch and a Welker drop from having 5.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Montana had Walsh and Holmgren.
    Elway had Shanahan
    Young had Shanahan, Mariucci and Walsh
    Brees had Payton
    Favre had Holmgren, Reid, McCarthy, Gruden, Mariucci, Bevell
    Aikman had Norv
    Brady had Weis, O'Brien and McDaniels
    Rodgers had McCarthy and Clements...

By my count, Manning hasn't had anybody at the level of those guys...

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And minus the greatest clutch kicker of all time, perhaps he has zero.

It really is a damn fine line.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nobody is seriously using a "winners win" argument and nothing else. However, postseason success IS a factor, even though I know you don't believe in "clutch." That's why, all other things being equal, Montana ranks ahead of Manning.

Another example (and I actually want your thoughts on it):

I believe LeBron James is every bit as good a basketball player as Magic Johnson. But, all other things being equal, I rank Magic No. 2, right behind Jordan, and I put LeBron probably No. 6.

One of the major reasons for that is because Magic has more rings.

That's one of the best ways to differentiate among the top 5 or 10 players who ever played whatever sport you're debating.

Draft saved Draft deleted