1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's "Legacy!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ralph Smith, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think one of the biggest issues with Manning is that he's never had a truly great offensive coach to work with him. The argument can be made that he never really needed one, and his play in the regular season supports that.

But in the postseason, he probably could have benefited from having a Walsh, Shanahan, Holmgren, Charlie Weis, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Gruden or someone like that in his ear.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

I suspect a lot of it is because he's done commercials for every product under the sun and he's always being talked about as this brilliant orchestrator of the game. Over-the-top exposure and hype can tick people off, or at least make them sick of hearing about him.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like this post. For the life of me, I don't understand the almost obsession about it.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No one is saying he sucks. He's just not THE greatest of all time. He can stand behind Montana, the guy who has four rings and was every bit the regular-season quarterback Peyton is.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The debate is whether he's the greatest to ever play the game. So the bar is pretty damned high, by definition.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I really think you're right. In this era, it seems strange to have a QB with that much control over the play-calling. Frankly, even the best of them aren't as good at it as a great OC who doesn't have to spend any time on physical preparation. Manning is doing two jobs, and maybe it catches up to him.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Supposedly, though, Manning is his own great offensive coach. Once he established that part of his game, I wonder how well he would have worked with a coach with strong offensive opinions and a strong system.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's how he likes it. It's probably a big reason he chose Denver over San Francisco (even though SF didn't have the cap space to sign him for anything close to what Denver did...)

I think some of that is on him if he didn't want to work with someone who is seen as a great offensive mind.

Even the best players need to be coached up from time to time...

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the question is greatest ever, it's Unitas and Montana among the ones I've seen, and Baugh and Graham of the ones I was too young to see. Manning's in the "pretty much tied for third" category with Brady, Marino, Elway, Sonny Jurgensen, Bart Starr, etc. Any of that group can quarterback my team in the Great Beyond in perpetuity and I'll take my chances, thanks.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Elway and Frank Gehry...

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Still waiting for that Brady touchdown drive to win a playoff game.

Much, much, much harder to do that. Just ask Kaepernick the past two seasons. If all the 49ers needed were field goals, they would have beaten the Ravens last season and the Seahawks this season.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Winners. They win.

Draft saved Draft deleted