1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's Legacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm guessing he meant the kicker and punter, as well.

2. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

Peyton Manning may have received a lot of hype since he was drafted, but deservedly so. Nobody better in the NFL, as far as I'm concerned.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Peyton is Marino right now. He becomes Favre if he wins Sunday.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, he's better than Favre if he wins Sunday. In fact, he's better than Favre right now.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For "legacy"? For all-time career accomplishments? No fucking way.

6. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

If the Colts lose, does he blame his teammates like he did in the playoff loss to Pittsburgh last season?

That's his legacy in my eyes.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

[​IMG]

PEYTON BRIAN
    MANNING URLACHER

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So Addai's just going to take the snap on his run?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Only had arguably the greatest QB, DB and most influential coach of the Super Bowl era on it.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Right now, and after this game, best QBs of the Super Bowl era (not counting Unitas, whose prime was pre-SB)

1. Elway
    2. Favre
    3. Marino
    4. Manning
    5. Montana

Favre and Elway get major, major points for putting up the performance they did while with northern, outdoor teams.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would not rank the five quarterbacks listed by Columbo in the same order, which is not my point. What jumps out at me is the obvious fact any team could win with any of the five as its quarterback. At the top of the talent continuum, there comes a point where the differences simply aren't large enough to have much of an impact on a game played 11 a side, even at the most important position.
    In their only Super Bowl meeting, Montana's 49ers smoked Marino's Dolphins 38-16. No matter which of the two one ranks ahead of the other and no matter the reasons, nobody would maintain there's a three-touchdown gap in their abilities. Some of the other guys on the field at Super Bowl XIX must've been responsible for the gap.
    Brett Favre was at the peak of his career when he and Elway met in Super Bowl XXXII. Elway was one season from retirement, and didn't have a particularly good game. But the Broncos won. Amazing as it may seem, Denver's offensive line and Terrell Davis had more impact on the game than either of its top-shelf Hall of Fame quarterbacks.
    As a close friend of BYH once said, you play to win the game. Marino obviously burns with disappointment he never won a Super Bowl. Manning burns the same way. Their personal feelings on the issue shouldn't affect how others perceive their considerable abilities.
    It does only because people prefer the simplest answer to any question, no matter how wrong it may be.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was asked about 50 questions after the game.

One of the questions was about the tremendous amount of pressure he faced from the Steelers (he was sacked 3 times).

His answer: "We had some protection problems."

Since anyone with a working pair of eyes could see there were protection problems, how is giving an obviously honest answer to one question out of 50 "blaming your teammates" for the loss?

But that's the soundbite era we live in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.