1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's Legacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Marino was and is a prick, too, but he was so damn good. Almost impossible to sack with his pocket presence and his quick release. Powerful, accurate arm. As far as the fooball mind and personality, well, that's why Joe Montana was better.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That may have been the beginning of today's Farve.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What if . . . ?

Devin Hester returns the opening kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown?

And Brian Urlacher forces Joseph Addai to fumble on the Colts' first play, and the Bears return it for a touchdown?

It's 14-0 Bears, and Manning hasn't even taken a snap.

Your legacy should not be determined by what 23 other people on the field do.

Joe Montana has all those rings for one reason: He played on the NFL's best team. Put him on the Buccaneers all those years . . . and what is his legacy?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That '81 championship team was not one for the ages.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

But it largely is. Especially when you play the most pivotal position on the field.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And even more so when you get the money Peyton does and have been hyped nonstop from the day you entered the league.

For better or worse, your place in history is defined by how many championship rings you have, especially as a quarterback or a coach, since so much of the control of things is in their hands. Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien had mostly mediocre NFL careers at best, but no one can take those championships away from them. Marino's legacy will always be somewhat incomplete because he never won a championship.

Don McCafferty had a mostly undistinguished, and tragically short, coaching career. But he'll always be known as a championship coach because of Super Bowl V. Bud Grant and Marv Levy did a lot of wonderful things during their NFL coaching careers, but their multiple Super Bowl failures will always be a black spot on their record.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Actually, I think it was six. And it was in 2002 (end of 2001 season).

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Manning threw for 492 yards and four touchdowns when Tennessee lost to the Gators 35-29.
    Manning threw for 326 yards and two touchdowns when Tennessee lost to the Gators 62-37.

Sometimes you're going to have good games, but no matter what you do, it won't be enough. Because you can only control so much. Manning can only do his part and then hope that it's good enough to win the game.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Manning is already one of the 5 or 10 best QB's ever. Unitas and Montana and Graham safely occupy the top 3. Manning can sit anywhere from 4th to down lower in my book. If he wins on Sunday his case will only be stronger.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I agree with that.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... yet too many are so quick to throw the "no titles" stupidity in his face. Pisses me off.

Peyton hasn't a thing further to prove to me. Not one. I'm pulling for the Colts so that the "can't win the big one" crap can't possibly stick for even Peyton's critics.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

23 other people on the field? Well if those two extra guys are on the other team, then obviously it's tough to hold that against Peyton. But if one is on the Colts and one is on the Bears, then I'd say it's fair. And if you put both of them on the Colts, then Peyton really wouldn't have any excuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.