1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's Legacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, bollocks.

Completely forgot about Favre. Maybe it's because I dislike Peter King's work so much.

From 1992-2004, I would put him only behind Montana and Elway. What an amazing QB he was in his prime. Had the numbers like Manning, but was massive in big games once they got over the hump in 1996. Now, he kind of sucks.

Thanks, buckweaver. Now shouldn't you get over to the "fixing the game of baseball" thread and proclaim your innocence?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was basing my answer on the thread's question: What if he won his first Super Bowl? I was answering as if he had, which is what the thread asked.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Johnny Unitas set the standard. Joe Montana and everyone else is ranked below him in my books.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Now Favre kind of sucks?

I'd say he's getting up in age, or not what he once was. But sucks is a little harsh, I'd say.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Marino gets the credit he deserves either. He never had the offensive talent around him that Manning does. The Dolphins never really had a quality running back for him. And I still think he made Duper and Clayton more than they made him.

6. Piotr Rasputin

He's become a guy who will throw the key interception.

As for Marino, I cannot stand his tendency to throw into triple coverage, thn bitch out the wideout for not making the catch. My favorite Marino story comes from SI about 12 years ago. They had a Scorecard feature about what different QBs gave their O-linemen for Christmas/end of season gift. Some guys gave golf clubs, watches, etc.

Marino? His guys, who lived in Miami, got Isotoner gloves. Guess what his main endorsement was?

Just always thought he was a prick. Add in the fact he's a horrible analyst (is anyone in that studio any good?), and simply wasn't a winner as a player.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Favre was the most feared quarterback in the league for nearly a decade. There was a long period of time when NOBODY wanted to play in Green Bay. There was a time that NOBODY wanted to give Favre the ball in a tie game late.

But now, he has no help. None.

And yes, you can make the argument that Elway and Brady (and Montana, early on) have done a lot with some pretty shitty offenses over the years. But an aging Elway wouldn't be much better with this offense than an aging Favre is.

I'll digress before I get going. ;)

8. Piotr Rasputin

All true. But I can't help but think he's lost a lot.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Duck Bub, are you forgetting that fantasy stud of yours, Donald Driver?

I'd say a Pro Bowl WR is at least of some help...

;D

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Somewhere in south Florida, Columbo has no idea why he is running around and barking.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Favre has had a great career, but he was huge in big games after they got over the hump? Assuming you're talking Super Bowls, he was 1-for-2. He also had some horrendous playoff performances (most notably that Rams game in 2000.)

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, come on now. He only threw five picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.