1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's Legacy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We've been hearing about this all week, so let's give it a thread.

Is Manning really staking a claim to being the best quarterback in NFL history if he finally gets a Super Bowl ring Sunday? Obviously it raises his standing, but I'm not sure it puts him at the top.

To me, it's still Joe Montana at the top. He had the combination of great statistics, amazing comebacks and championships. Who else makes the elite group?

One thing that drove me nuts today was two local radio idiots coming up with a list of quarterbacks they would take ahead of Montana (Manning, Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Steve Young were on it).

The best was how uninformed they were. They dismissed Montana's mobility, which was an important part of his game. They listed that as an advantage for Brady over Montana, which flat out isn't true.

They also dismissed his numbers as a bunch of five-yard outs that Jerry Rice turned into big plays. Never mind that Montana led the 49ers to two Super Bowl championships without Rice. Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark were nice receivers, but they weren't Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

End of rant...other opinions?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Montana and Unitas were the best I ever saw personally.
    There's a case that perhaps Starr was better than Johnny U, but I respectfully disagree.
    Check back on the history/stat books, Otto Graham is the best of 'em. He lost like 20 games in a 10 year career.
    My dad grew up in DC, insists Baugh was the best. He could be right.
    After a certain point of superlativeness, "best" is an opinion which can never be verified.
    It's natural but pointless to insist otherwise.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Peyton's legacy will be as my babydaddy.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I love Peyton. I think he is great. He's the best and he has nothing to prove to me Sunday.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, BYH? You seem to have misposted. I think you were looking for the "make lies up about yourself" thread.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

**sigh**
    Do we need another restraining order?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No. No restraining order necessary.

The only one I'd kidnap (for his own good) would be Brook. The rest will just have to live with the pain of not being with me. :p

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He'd need to win a couple more to be anywhere in Montana territory

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Peyton certainly is no Dave Dickinson.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

QBs better than Manning, as far as historic impact, quality of teammates they had to lift, leadership and of course, the most important aspect: victory . . . . (no particular order):

Joe Montana
    John Elway
    Tom Brady
    Johnny Unitas
    Troy Aikman
    Steve Young

Yes, I know Aikman had great teammates. But he was very underrated, just excellent, and a gamer. Young too. But the top three . . .Montana didn't get a truly great offense around him until after the first Super Bowl, and Elway lifted teams to great things before Davis got there. Brady . . .you won't see any of his WRs or RBs in the Hall of Fame.

I put Unitas because if I didn't, I'd hear about it. Can't say I ever saw him play.

QBs Manning is undoubtedly superior to:
    Dan Marino and everyone below him.

The only thing I cannot stand about Manning, of course, is that pre-snap idiocy. Stop shouting, Peyton, the defense sees that no one is moving, and they're not fooled. It takes Elway's damn head shakes to the next level.

If he wins Sunday, his legacy will be that he broke through and became a champion after falling short for a lifetime. Nothing will change that, ever. And the overrated Marino will be pissed off.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Either of them are welcome to father my children.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

But they're older than 13. [/dead. to. Sportschick.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.