1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning SI Sportsman (Moneymaker) of The Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I read "The Franchise" also, and I seem to remember a year or two after the SOY award, Rogin supposedly was watching Decker in a race and she pulled up and quit the race for some reason or another, and Rogin was heard calling her a "c--t."

Another interesting SOY backstory was when Johnny Podres won it in 1955, SI's second year. The magazine was going to name a thoroughbred owner whose name escapes me (that shows how different the choices were back then) and were in the middle of putting together the story and cover when the horseman was killed under mysterious circumstances. SI decided it wouldn't be appropriate to put the guy on the cover and Podres had just been the MVP in the Dodgers' first World Series triumph, so they named him and got a head shot of him to slap on the cover.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 1979 at the Phoenix, George Kimball did a piece on SI's then-25th anniversary. I remember only one thing about the article. Something like six animals, racehorses, hunting dogs, ducks, etc., were featured on the cover before they put an NBA player on it.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And bridge.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Gillette. Mercedes-Benz. Wilson. Rolex. Whatever.

Noooooo. It used to be so good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted